Thinking of The Thorpedo, depression etc

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Nubaru

Thinking of The Thorpedo, depression etc

Post by Nubaru » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Do I get bonus points for making this forum show up on Google searches on Thorpedo ?

I am not good at writing things , so maybe list a few grab words, Ian Thorpe, Thorpie,Thorpedo, Olympic medal winner - numerous, currently reported in the media as suffering from depression, call Lifeline, beyond blue, seek help

It is a sad thing that a fellow whose country has put him on a pedestal is now, according to todays media reports, suffering from depression. I am sure if I was 6'5" and in the media for a topic becoming a little more open in recent years - I would certainly feel a little smaller than 6'5" in a spotlight seen as a little different from the one he enjoyed poolside and on to the social scene

As a sporting hero - "LEGEND" - can he simply join a mens shed at age 31, or is he too young? Just for a bit of whatever a mens shed is for - good old company - from strangers at first perhaps.

At 6'5" would he fit in a Subaru , an old one? one that he could get as a fixer-upper, join a forum, learn a little basic car servicing, go off into the scrub and get bogged out of phone reception..have to either dig out or walk out, ponder life as you do one, then resort to the walk.

Forget that he is a sporting hero, he started out as a pretty normal kid like the rest of us, is the country he represents going to get behind him now and show their support, or let his manager, family and doctors deal with it ?

Would it hurt for, was it the Herogram?, be resurrected and send off a few good wishes, just to perk the fellow up ? Maybe facebook and twitter fits in now.

From what I understand about depression, clinical depression, it is not just having a bad day, sad day, not something that just turns up one day and you have it.

A forum such as this, with an open slather section is a good place to raise the topic, raise the awareness of the "black dog" shadow that plagues sufferers.

Ian is in the news today, was the last week too, yet may almost be forgotten for the next six months - six months ! of rehabilitation....

Do you even go into rehab for depression ? Get off the nasty meds you'd hope.

I tell you what, with what is likely being discussed in the media - I'd want to go somewhere away from it all too if I was him . Pack the wife and kid into the Brumby ......alright,alright, during an amorous moment or two - a bench seat in the Brumby did not come across my mind !

Seriously,the guy deserves some thought, as does anyone else you may know with depression.
member since 10january2014 #6191

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm

I'm not going to lie... I took just about every mind altering substance I could get my hands on during my formative years. ( very good and very bad times) It left me a complete wreck.

I have dealt with depression, anxiety, paranoia and just about every other psychological ailment there is. (whilst on the drugs and getting sober)

Thorpie had done the best thing he can seek help.

I will say in the end it is up to the individual to want to get better, otherwise it is a waste of time and money.

I live one day at a time :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Bantum
General Member

Fact check ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 am

I'm not one for making uneducated remarks, but my understanding of the current melay is that it is totally unrelated - just that fact that he was under a combination of pain medication following surgery on his shoulder & anti-depressants - somehow the combination of these had an unwanted side effect that resulted in him becoming incapacitated, which made for good headlines ... :shock:

More details here : http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3937400.htm

Typical of the media to jump on news without checking the facts ... :rolleyes:

Ciao, Bantum ...

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:26 am

Edited
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Degenerate, you might be stepping over some boundaries .....

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of AUSubaru.com Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of AUSubaru.com Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of AUSubaru.com Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Prolly the last thing needed to be discussed in here fer sure !!

While you are on the topic - reminds me of the Forester with those 'my family' stickers on the window, small family of two blokes and their fishing rods

Return to “Open Slather”