Possible stupid car question

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

Possible stupid car question

Post by Cliff R » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:14 pm

I wont go into the fine points but I just wanted to confirm if I am asking a sensible question or not.
I am currently after a pair of front free wheeling hubs to change out the non free wheeling hub set up on my 98 model Suzuki Grand Vitara.
I ordered a pair of Vitara front hubs (exact wording) from a vendor via the "Findaparts" web site and what arrived were a pair of standard, front, Vitara lower strut hubs complete with disc rotors, brake calipers/pads, bearings etc. Basically, it was pulled off a wreck from the bottom of the front strut, the brake hoses were simply cut off and the assembly from each side was unbolted and shipped to me.
I have absolutely no issue with the quality of what I received, it is excellent quality. It just isn't what I thought I asked for.
What I wanted to know was, is the term "free wheeling hubs" adequate (as well as all the other details of the car such as model, make, engine, transmission, year etc)
I believe it is as this is a general, common term for the hubs, it is a good search term for the likes of Google or Google images too.
How can a request for free wheeling hubs end up being understood as a pair of standard hubs the same as what is already on the car.
I am assuming too much here ?

tony

Post by tony » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:58 pm

sorry cliff i think you did it to yourself.
A set of front hubs is not a set of free wheel hubs, it is a set of front hubs as delivered. you should have asked for free wheel hubs.
they are available for your car for around $175 there is a guy in WA advertising them for the zook on gumtree. i believe any vitara one will fit but you would have to check that out on the catalogue for your self.
i have a 2002 grand vitara GL7, and have been looking for a set myself.
I have a problem with the 4wd it doesn't work and the 4wd light does not come on on the dash.
will have to check out the vacuum hose and electric from the range gear selector .

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:07 pm

What comes standard on the car? If you asked for hubs, then I'm sure someone would assume you have standard stuff and send you standard ones.

The term "hub" refers to the part that holds the bearings. There is 3 types of hubs available to the general 4WD market.. Fived, Auto or Free (manual). All of these really need to be specified when ordering them otherwise a parts supplier will send you what comes on the car from manufacture.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu May 01, 2014 5:04 pm

Just to clarify, in my original request I did ask for free wheeling hubs but still ended up with a pair of standard hubs.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu May 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Free wheeling hubs are pretty self explanatory and if you specified that you should have got them. Def should get your money back
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:52 am

If you definitely used the words "free wheeling" then you are within your right to return them if they supplied standard ones
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue May 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Ended up keeping the standard hub assemblies.
Decided trying to find another set of front brake discs, calipers, hubs/bearings, etc all assembled, in great condition at a later stage, for a 15 year old car, could be a bit tricky.
I also have a gut feeling (cant explain it) that I need to keep these things so I sorted out the situation with the seller and kept the goods.
The seller (a wreckers) tried to locate a set of free wheeling/locking hubs but no good so I can now move on with anyone else who can supply what I need.
Live and learn

Return to “Open Slather”