more ebay paypal questions

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

more ebay paypal questions

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:31 am

OK, listed my first (and likely last) ebay item to sell, sold, accepted (I don't know why) paypal as a payment option. Item has been posted coz paypal told me somehow it had been paid for( an email ?) and aussie post claim to have delivered it Signature on Delivery (contractor scalp hanging on a post yet TOONGA?) at its address provided by the buyer.

So, how does ebay collect their fees? I think I eithr got a free first time listing fee, but there is a sell fee of some fair portion of sale price and postage.

Am I a bit dim and ebay and paypal have helped themselves to their fees via the buyers paypal payment ?

Any clearly written tips welcome :)

What a process that was!

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:40 am

Paypal takes its cut before you get your money... Ebay will send you an invoice at the end of the month ... unless it was a free listing?

In your ebay account, go to the account settings tab (where you sign out) go to the account tab then to fees to see if you have an invoice.

Normally you will pay yor invoice out of your paypal account.

I have sent you an email about Australia post

:)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:48 am

Yeah it will come out of paypal I think.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/fees.html#fvf

You could get this to help in general but might be too hard for you to work out how to purchase it, catch 22 :)

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/130851582881?nav=SEARCH

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:40 pm

aha, tanks Toonga, clicked on account settings once signed in, and found fees from ebay $7.72, thinking that is pretty hefty on a $50 sell price plus $28 postage, yet to see what paypal got out of it. Bit of frigging around first time around

It does beat paying fifteen bucks for an ad in local rag for one day and have no calls, no sale :)

AndrewT, got the buy method sorted thanks, was all a learning curve, not sure how ebay took off though - woulda given up on the sell method myself :)

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:25 am

I'll have to try ebay one of these days.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:16 am

sell something useless like brumby wheel nuts at $5 posted each - you'd be in competition with a wrecker with a little bit more than that on offer, but I guess it gives him and his phone number some free exposure :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Venturing back to ebay and at the end get hit with this extra bit from paypal, wanting me to agree to something I did not have to agree to on my first listing which went without consumer affairs getting involved :)

Not showing as listed, might let it hang and go look at gumtree instead .....warranty shmorranty

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:56 pm

I have tried to sell things previously on ebay and they just don't go for enough money and the fees are bloody ridiculous.

So I have a new golden rule - buy on ebay sell on gumtree :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Gumtree is owned by eBay :)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Tigger wrote:Gumtree is owned by eBay :)
Yes I know - but Gumtree you get what you want for your item or a closely negotiated price and don't pay fees.

eBay you can end up getting next to nothing for the item and you don't have any choice but to sell it. Unless you start the auction at the minimum price you will accept and then you won't get any bids........

eBay would be much better if the auction end time was extended every time someone put a bid on. graysonline does this and it works just like a real auction then.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 pm

The Australian based auction site that ebay purchased and dismantled in the 1990's did this. Its the best system for sellers, but buyers get hooked on "snipping' and preferred ebay.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:55 am

eBay is fine as long as you take a little time to understand the rules…and the fees.

I sell a lot on eBay, and reckon I am stuffed around far less than I was back in the Trading Post days.

And for only ~10% opens up a word wide market. Also use Gumtree from time to time.

swap4beer.com.au = a bit of fun!! Have a read of some the trades on offer
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:21 pm

I was reading recently that ebay would rather private sellers used gumtree now, so pretty much new stuff on ebay and second hand on Gumtree as it still reaches Aus wide and it's much easier and cheaper, I recently advertised the double front seat out of my Transit van on Gumtree and the only call I got on it was from Sydney where it is now sitting in it's new van.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Return to “Open Slather”