Car paint colours

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

Car paint colours

Post by Cliff R » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:32 pm

The 82 MY wagon has a paint code of 15 which is a silver colour.
This wasn't a standard colour in premixed spray cans so I had to have it mixed and put into spray cans.
This is a metallic paint and it was interesting in that I was asked which of the paint code 15 Subaru paints I wanted.
I asked what was meant by this and apparently one of the code 15 colours needed a clear coat over the top of the silver base and the other didn't need a clear coat.
Either way, the silver colour isn't the same as original and I know there will be fading of the original paint but even so, the new paint is lighter in colour.
I have looked in areas on the car where there would be little to no fade but still, the old and the new paint differ a fair bit.
So far, Auto 1 (now Autopro) have mixed the paint but I will try Supercheap and see how they go.
I am interested in people's views on the paint code 15 and this thing of metallic paint that does not need a clear/top coat.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:16 pm

yeah perhaps their recipe isn't quite right, try another place.
Otherwise a car paint place should also be able to do a colour match - bring the petrol flap or some other small part of the car with the original paint on and they should be able to use it as a real reference.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:28 pm

AndrewT wrote: a car paint place should also be able to do a colour match - bring the petrol flap or some other small part of the car with the original paint on and they should be able to use it as a real reference.
+1 agreed

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:46 pm

My old wagon resto project was paint code 15 silver come to think of it, I remember seeing the very badly faded sticker on the upper radiator support. Couldn't help ya when it comes to if I had clear coat or not; it's now completely in new primer as we speak :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:03 pm

now, where you gonna find repro stuff for MY ? A new paint code sticker would look fresh on the 'bullet Same :)

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:14 pm

My paint code sticker has certainly faded over the 16 years we have had the car but it is still readable.
Just to focus in on my paint question.

Do all metallic paints require a clear coat over the base (colour) coat or not.
Does it really matter ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Cliff R wrote:Do all metallic paints require a clear coat over the base (colour) coat or not.
Does it really matter ?
I think so yes, when you see a metallic painted car with peeling clear coat what's left underneath is a very dull flat colour.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Funny though, I played with Silver Anniversary eons ago. Mixed up as per codes or formula by a tenanted painter at work. He told me to hit it until wet like , avoid runs and it should look OK. I did the rims and they were pretty good shiny finish, but when I painted the bonnet it came up looking like metallic does when it is waiting for a gloss coat. Thought I didn't get it on wet enough. Maybe there are metallic acrylics out there that do not need or are not intended to get a gloss coat ?

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 pm

I am currently Googling what I can.
I have Gregory's manuals on painting somewhere, just have to find it.

Return to “Open Slather”