Body panel sealant

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

Body panel sealant

Post by Cliff R » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:51 am

Does anyone know the name of and where to get the sealant which you may typically see that goes between a cars body panels.
I see it is on most cars say, where the front mudguards attached to the chassis. For want of a better description I would call it a sort of non acidic silastic that goes semi hard, ie, it wouldn't attack the paint.
I see it is also used between where the roof of the car sits on the internal cross roof channels so the two panels don't rub together but can still be independent. It isn't like a window sealant which does not go hard but something else.
I will provide an update on the screw on luggage rack hole repairs project in the near future. Messy and frustrating job.

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:24 am

Sikaflex make a range of such automotive sealants, eg 226, 227, 232 in white or black. Not to endorse any particular supplier/retailer, B_nnings have an extensive range of sukaflex products.

J

sublime

Post by sublime » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:08 am

In terms of the front guards I would make sure you get a product that allows removal at a later date. Versions of Sikaflex are quite a strong adhesive and would make removal difficult.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:38 pm

call sikaflex customer support and ask them. They do a seam sealant but I cant remember the number.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks everyone.
I think the key here is the right terminology which in this case is Seam Sealer.
I will do some more research as I couldn't think what is was called.
Thanks for that.
My needs right now will be up between the roof and the roof interior cross braces.
Guards will come later.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:12 pm

Just stop in at any panel shop and they'll tell you the best product, I remember doing that about 8yrs ago.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Return to “Open Slather”