Dash pad repairs

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

Dash pad repairs

Post by Cliff R » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Anyone had any success in repairing a cracked dash pad in their Subaru. ?
I know you can have a pad re covered etc but I am specifically looking at dash pad repair kits or similar products and how well they have worked (if anyone has used them)
The dash pad in the MY has a crack running across it from the windscreen side to the inner side of the car and some smaller cracks running off the main crack. It is not a huge crack but large enough all the same.
As the pad has always had a dash mat on it the crack is not from direct sun light but rather heat.
I cant do a lot about this except spend more time on keeping the interior cool(er) and applying protection chemicals (having interesting results with the Boiled Linseed oil, will report on this in due course).
Any thoughts and experiences appreciated.
I see Supercheap have a Permatex Vinyl & Leather Repair Kit which I may try.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Just keep the dash mat on it so you can't see :)

My Brumby dash has a crack big enough to fit my hand in, but dash mat covers all :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 pm

There's a thread on usmb detailing the whole process, will post a link when I find it again. It can be done, just takes time & pateince ... ��
Cheers, Bantum ...

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Just joined the USMB board (had been meaning to for some time) so will have a look too.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:27 pm

Decided to buy the Vinyl & Leather Repair Kit from Supercheap (about $32.00)
My dash pad is probably better than most so I thought the sooner I do something about it the better.
I realise I will not be able to repair the pad as it has risen in the area of the crack and I don't have the necessary skills to do a great deal about it.
As a Fitter and Machinist by trade I don't recall dash pad repairs as part of my trade.
Here is my pad with the dash mat in place, without the mat and a close up of the crack.
I applied the filler/adhesive via a syringe rather than straight out of the tube for more control.
All I am expecting is to maintain the pad in its current state, ie, fill the crack so it doesn't spread.
I have applied the 50/50 mix of grease/wax remover and Boiled Linseed oil (as per another posting of mine) to the rest of the dash pad hoping things don't spread further.
See how it all goes.

With filler/adhesive applied.

Return to “Open Slather”