wrong user name deep set in WinXP

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

wrong user name deep set in WinXP

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:22 pm

OK fellow hackers, I have a problem with my old hack PC in that when I got it as a used set-up the computer guy set it up with a name somewhere deep in its bowels

Now, I have gone into control panel right into users and changed the name ages ago, so if I was to try the switch users my entry comes up, and even changed it again, username and full name OK and apply

BUT as I suspect, somewhere deep set in the bowels of this PC it keeps bleeding out the old username let's say it is 'fruitloop' and it just turned up in a journey into hooking up an 802.11x style wifireless dongle. This occured way after my earlier changes to 'steptoe' , so 'steptoe' is embedded somewhere way deep into my winXP and is giving out wrong stuff.

Anyone know how I can dredge out where it is and edit it ? I'd prefer neighbours did not think they had a fruitloop living amongst them !!

tanks :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:38 pm

HOK,

just ran a search on the name and found a file, a file folder

C://Documents and Settings

clicked to rename it and got a stop X

fruitloop is a windows system folder & is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed.

Think case is closed

Looks like the next time some sneaky dude sets any OS up for me I will be laying down some instructions !!
thanks for looking . But ..if there is any back door approach .....

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:35 pm

Jonno it can be done I would think that the PC guy set up the account as an Admin this page shows you how to delete Admin user accounts.

http://ccm.net/faq/4492-delete-an-admin ... windows-xp

Just make sure you are an Admin before you go deleting other admin accounts :)

Good luck :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:46 am

thanks for your attempts Jules

I got in there and there is no fruitloops, is same place where I have changed user name before. Not to worry, I think , well certain there is a method to change the name broadcast out on wifi doodads as seen it done.

My plan is to ditch my PC isp - ( and it just renewed for another month this morning :( )
sap the hardly used jiggerbytes from my phone and about same learning time/speed sort out a wifi other doodad. Been looking through ones software drop down box, checking, unchecking boxes and seeing things disappear. Start again, after mild panic :)

Hands up who reckons TOONGA needs to set up a human interface service for the IT challenged ? http://www.askTOONGAhumanINTERFACEservices.com a fee for service based on prepay ??

Me, me !!

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:23 pm

LOL someone probably owns that address :)

And not a problem Jonno another place to look would be in user accounts.

TOONGA

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:58 am

yeah, thanks Jules, been into user accounts in the first and second places I think. Resigned to believe the system is ingrained with the name.

Bantum
General Member

Nuked ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:14 pm

:mad:Think I've got the same problem, inhertited a computer that I'm curently fighting with a user name which I can't get rid of ... �� Would add that MS windows tends to hoard & not delete things ... �� It would seem the only way to fix is to 'nuke it' & start with fresh install ... ��
Ciao, Bantum ...

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:01 pm

That's why when you do a fresh install of any MS OS you make an image of your "C" drive with all of your freshly installed programs.

That way when you need to re install you use the image and hey presto :)

TOONGA

pedroj

username

Post by pedroj » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi Steptoe,
even if you rename an account in Windows, the name of the profile directory is NOT changed to match it.

so C:\Documents and Settings\fruitloop will stay like that forever and a day... or rebuild the PC, unless you are prepared to go to the next level.

Create a NEW user and make them an ADMIN, then log out of the normal account, XP should now prompt you to select Which account to log into, make sure you remember the password from the new account. Once logged in the, the files used by Friutloop are not locked and can be edited BUT renaming it is NOT going to help you as the references tot he name are embedded in the Registry.

You need to transfer all the files from fruitloop to the new user and then you can delete the old user BUT you may loose information, favorites and other bits if you do...

the final answer, you can do it BUT it is painful. (I work in IT for a big organisation)

Regards,
Peter.

Return to “Open Slather”