No identity - MY Touring wagon

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

No identity - MY Touring wagon

Post by Cliff R » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:01 pm

I have had the MY wagon since 1998 and I have made numerous changes to the car as my mood and needs changed.
I realised that now the car has no identity or at best has a confused identity.
It has the 2" lift but it looked sort of "confused" with the L series 13" sunnies and the rear bumper replacement with spare wheel carrier. The 14's are not going to happen as I couldn't be bothered chasing the Legal minefield so no point going down this road.
I hadn't intended for yesterday to be devoted to sort the identity issue but that's what happened.
Off came the rear bumper/wheel carrier and back on went the original 82 model bumper.
I had forgotten how neat these old bumpers looked.
Anyway, I feel the car has its identity back and now I can look for some of those old 80's accessories like those aluminum number plate frames with the 2 x screw on either side and another rear tailgate window louver.
Also still looking for a set of (5) MY rims (40 to 45mm offset) but instead of sunnies would also like a set of MY alloys with the right offset.
I am not sticking with OEM mods all the time as a Webber is on the cards as are replacement seats.
Need to get back into the car now and get it cleaned up ready to find a new front LH guard (too much rust in the old one).
What I am talking about with the identity crisis crept up on me but it certainly felt good making the decision to not make the car look like something it wasn't.
Interesting day yesterday.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:19 pm

You'll have to add some before & after shots to show us what your talking about ... :)

Ciao, Bantum ...

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Sure will, probably in a day or so.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm

That's a bit of a Steptoe-like post Cliff...

Glad you got that sorted! I'm looking forward to pics too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:26 pm

I will start by saying I mean no disrespect to anyone who has the same set up as I previously had.
The decision I made applies to me and anyone with the same or similar set up on their car may have an awesome looking vehicle. It is just that my direction with the car changed and I find myself comfortable with this decision.
I find myself very surprised with my decision and reaction to turn my car from an off road machine to a car with reasonable 4WD capability but with a full concentration towards outfitting it with "period" accessories (not necessarily OEM, just period for the early 80's) I am very comfortable with the car and its direction.
This is not something I had thought about doing in the past but the time is now right so off I go.
The story so far is, originally I had the 14's with the spare wheel carrier and the car look great. The wheels filled the guards nicely (well a bit outside the guards but I had flexi guards to put on if required) and the wheel carrier was functional as the 14" spare wouldn't fit in the engine bay any more.

When I inquired with my Engineer to have the wheels certified and he wouldn't do it due to NSW RMS requirements and the 14" rim offset, I did not have the time or the inclination to continue with this so I sold the 14's and fitted the 13" rims off my last 92 model L series. These are a +55mm offset which sit inside the guards further than if the rims were from an MY which has something like +40 to +45mm offset.
The 13" spare on the rear wheel carrier now looked like a "pimple on a pumpkin" and I felt it looked out of place now with the smaller wheel.

When I made the decision to go back to the car being something with 4WD capability but not intending to use it for this generally, I removed the wheel carrier and refitted the original 82 model rear bumper. I really like this type with its chrome construction.

I now really want to go back to period MY rims either Sunnies or Alloys but with the correct offset.

I could put these back on with their +45mm original offset but I want to be able to fit center caps and while I still have mine they are going brittle and I expect they will fall off pretty quickly.

Cleaned up they still look good even after 34 years.

If anyone has any OEM accessories or early 80's accessories they wish to part with feel free to let me know.

Likewise, if anyone has a set of (5) correctly offset MY Sunnies, or the same in period Alloys let me know.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Nice mate.

I don't know how you'd be offending anyone - it's your vehicle, you've not been rude to anyone about it so it's all good mate!

All the best on the search for those rims and other accessories ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks Bennie.
For some reason today I thought, if I was granted one wish, right up there would be the gift of hindsight.
Having been in my "car modifying and car purchasing prime" right through the 80's a bit of future knowledge would have been excellent.
Looking back through photos of my 85 model Nissan series 3 Bluebird wagon I noted the same bonnet protector I had on the MY Wagon when we got it in 98.
Cant even ID it now from Aunger but it was easy to get back then.
Those bonnet protectors are very elusive to find.

mattw

Post by mattw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:49 pm

You always need to find your own way with these things, so no one is going to begrudge your choices.
I reckon you're on a good thing though and it'll come up nice.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:45 pm

Are you planning on retrofitting the stock front bar also ?

You could mill up a set of alloy centre caps out of acetal or similar very easily for day-to-day use. Use badges from a stock MY centre cap to complete the period look.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 pm

dfoyl wrote:Are you planning on retrofitting the stock front bar also ?

You could mill up a set of alloy centre caps out of acetal or similar very easily for day-to-day use. Use badges from a stock MY centre cap to complete the period look.
Good idea, might also measure up the alloy rim centers where the caps go and check out other car makes for something that fits and re badge with subaru

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Just adding, the bullbar has to stay.
We have huge problems with Roos in our region and hitting one without the bull bar would signal the end of the car.

Return to “Open Slather”