“Happy” Australia Day 2021

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

“Happy” Australia Day 2021

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:24 pm

Well, Happy Austalia Day!

It’s not quite the same anymore for me - too many politicising the day, Triple J’s hottest 100 no longer on our national day of celebrating everything Australian - First Nations People and all.

Before the J’s got involved, mates would flock to someone’s place or a camp location, listening to the hottest 100 on the way while the host place was doing the same. There was a common interest to discuss while enjoying some beer/rum and a bbq together lathered in our national flag inspired outfits. Earlier on there was a bathtub or large container of a fruit punch cocktail, but with kids that’s gone to the wayside.

I don’t think it’s healthy to have your nation’s day of celebration politicised every year on the day. This day was chosen as it was the day Australia was handed its independence to self govern from the mother land from what I understand. It happened to coincide with the day the first fleet apparently landed on Oz soil in 1788 - where they were given a welcome to country by the local clan from a miss understanding. I think the bicentennial celebrations and the landing re-enactment in 1988 certainly doesn’t help with the current way of thinking - it was disgusting to watch back many years later.

Anyway, enjoy some national emblem roo on the bbq, ours was tops and it’s great to catch up with mates too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Re: “Happy” Australia Day 2021

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:43 pm

It was never really a big thing in my family, just a day off from school/work :lol: Would be nice though if we could have a day of national celebration just to celebrate what is good about Australia here and now. Nobody is celebrating "the invasion" anyway, dunno why it's such a big deal all of a sudden. If the day was moved to appease the vocal minorities no doubt they'd find something else to gripe and moan on and fill the headlines with.

Stopped listening to the hottest 100 years ago anyway, can't listen to that station any more when every other song is wannabe gangster rap crap :evil: There's enough Aussie music to fill a radio station but they force that American garbage over the airwaves, rubs me the wrong way for sure.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: “Happy” Australia Day 2021

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:04 pm

Couldn’t agree more on both fronts Sam!

But with the hottest 100 you tend to get a good mix with only a little bit of that gangsta rap. With that said, I wouldn’t know now days - it’s been at least two years now that I’ve listened to it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Open Slather”