FREE archive record access ~ WAR etc

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

FREE archive record access ~ WAR etc

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:42 pm

http://www.naa.gov.au is great place to find digitally archived records of government and war service. If it has been digitised previously it is ususlly freely available to view online. I found my grandfathers records had to be digitised cost me $25 and six weeks or so. Showed 'em to an aunt and uncle and then went looking for my uncles rellies - a cousin who died flying a bomber in Germany in '44 and his dad who died same year( at first telling me his father did not serve coz he was a doctor, then after seeing this file, remebered a photo of his dad at uni in army uniform !!). We found the records had already been digitised , 100+ pages on the wing commander and 24 on his dad and able to view them straight away.

If you no have any rellies just search a random surname and look for the digitised logo and link and see the results

bloody interesting when you know the person or family !!

sorta timely with ANZAC day coming up

subanator

Post by subanator » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:24 am

Thanks Steptoe for tip. I found my grandfathers service record in there already digitised. It was quite interesting read, as he died shortly after I was born, so I really didnt know a lot about his involvement and deployment, but this gives some clues.
My thoughts will be with him tomorrow for Anzac Day, and to all others that he served along side with.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 am

Glad you found it of interest, now don't forget to share the link with any interested rellies

Return to “Open Slather”