Pissed off at Braid...

All things related to help you get the Catch of the day ...
Ben

Pissed off at Braid...

Post by Ben » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:16 pm

I have been using baitcaster type reels for about 18 years now, I am pretty confident with them and my Abu 6500C3 I can cast all night and day without backlash. I recently got a brand spankers 4600C3 to use for bass fishing and spooled it up with 150 yards (backed with mono) of Penn 8lb (1lb mono equiv) braid to the spool lip. Spooled as per instruction, tight as I could get it to prevent binding etc.

Spool brake is set up to not let the line fall without a small flick of the rod, and then it falls about 20cm or so (my 6500 with mono drops the load to the floor when I let go of the spool) as per the reel instructions (looser makes it cast worse!!) I have tightened it up a bit more, but still want it to be able to cast.

Is braid really as 'super' as the pro's make out to be? Anyone got a fix for me?

The braid was $40 - don't want to have to spend another $20 to get another spool of good mono...

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:43 am

I have an Abu 6500C3 that I used to love using with mono on it. I switched to braid a few years back and have hated the real ever since. The braid cost me quite a bit back then and it wasn't until just recently I thought stuff it and took the braid off. It was possible to feel every single thing the lure did. Every touch from fish. Casting was eventually worked out. I just didn't like the stuff. I also believe that I used to get less strikes with the braid. In my opinion it was due to the higher vis of the line.

I went Jack fishing with it a few weeks back and it is again one of my favorite reels now it it is spooled again with 12lb Platinum mono.

Spend the $20. Put the braid on a spin reel, or better still, in the bin.

I have used braid in the surf and can't speak highly enough of it there. Cost is the biggest enemy of braid, especially when you consider how much it would be to spool an Alvey.

Gardiner

Post by Gardiner » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:53 pm

I hate braid, never use the stuff

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:52 pm

any abu with a C after it is a turd with braid

the bushed ones work brilliant with it though...

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:23 am

I love braid. Got it on my overhead (calcutta copy). Backed it with fireline and use a mono leader. Just doesn't like light weights (small lures especially). For that I want to get an egg beater and a new stick anyway.

Sti_Brumby

Post by Sti_Brumby » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:18 am

i love braid. I got it on my tld25 . 300mrts on 15kg backing and 50pound braid 500yards top works a treat :)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:46 pm

braid is great on spinning outfits, and larger overheads such as TLD's etc, but onto smaller reels such as your abu's its pretty average! if you want to use braid on smaller overhead reels use something like fireline, its Gel-spun instead of heatfused(spiderwire etc) it will come of the reel much easier and isnt overly thin like penn braid and them others!
Even try the new suffix matrix pro braid(really good stuff)
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

FISH_Stalker

Post by FISH_Stalker » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:54 am

On my baitcaster (calcutta 200) i use 15lb Super Braid. It casts like a dream. On my spinning outfits I use 4lb-20lb fire line. Im never goin back to mono....only for the trout trolling and bait fishing. Mainly fish for the Natives around Canberra.

Return to “Fishing”