Anyone else fish the Lachlan River NSW?

All things related to help you get the Catch of the day ...
FROG
General Member

Anyone else fish the Lachlan River NSW?

Post by FROG » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Reflections
Lachlan River NSW

I’ve been fishing and camping on the Lachlan River for over ten years, mostly at a couple of favourite spots a few hundred klms downstream (west) from Condobolin and remember pulling out Redfin, Yellowbelly, Silver Perch, Eel tail catfish (love the look of those critters!) and Murray Cod in amongst a handful of European Carp, these last few years all I see and catch is stinking Carp! I reckon I have to catch at least 10 Carp before anything else gets a look at my bait/lure :mad:

Lachlan camp Easter 2013

This Easter weekend I camped for two nights and was up early watching the river wake up and I reckon every ten metres of water I could see a Carp swimming just under the surface, no wonder the poor natives are rare!

Easter 2013 Lachlan

Other than that little upset it was still a pleasure camping in the middle of nowhere in magnificent river country :D

Same spot as above but September 2012 higher river level

Lachlan catchment area for those interested
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Thats such a shame to hear. My fav fishing spot is the Tambo R, a hotspot for bream. For as long as I can remember there has been HUGE carp there. Its not uncommon to see a fish 2'+ cruising the surface with an inch or 2 of its back sticking out! :(

Carp seem to be getting worse in many places. You often hear of areas where natives have almost been completely replaced by them. Its not just the native fish stocks that suffer, the river itself gets damaged by them churning up the mud, reducing dissolved oxygen & destroying the entire food chain! :(:mad:

A small pleasure is the increasing number of dedicated carp tournaments with prizes given to the most carp caught.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:51 am

Don't know much about the techniques of fishing myself, or the Lachlan. However I enjoy it as especially eating it! BTW awesome quality pics:)
That is an area I would love to explore. Have friends in Young, so perhaps next visit we should extend our travels to investigate the greater region;)

Skull

Post by Skull » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi Frog, Grabine State Recreation Area has been a favourite haunt of mine like forever, Wyangla Dam, junction of the Lachlan & Abercrombie rivers.
Same story here, trout, silver & golden perch are by far outnumbered by crappy carp!! Although it does look a lot more scenic with some water in it, that last severe drought we experienced had a dreadful impact.
We used to catch catfish in large numbers some nights, honestly I haven't caught any in the last 15 years, starting to lose interest.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Skull wrote:Hi Frog, Grabine State Recreation Area has been a favourite haunt of mine like forever, Wyangla Dam, junction of the Lachlan & Abercrombie rivers.
Same story here, trout, silver & golden perch are by far outnumbered by crappy carp!! Although it does look a lot more scenic with some water in it, that last severe drought we experienced had a dreadful impact.
We used to catch catfish in large numbers some nights, honestly I haven't caught any in the last 15 years, starting to lose interest.
Skull A friend of mine caught a cat fish two weeks ago and thats the first Ive heard of around here for a couple of years
It does get a little disheartening pulling out carp so often
ah well change bait and try again :D
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 pm

If you want to see Carp, head out to Menindee. I was there a coupel of months back with work and found the opportunity to do a little fly fishing, Guys I have never seen anything like the plague of carp that's there. Literally thousands sliding over each other attempting to get atthe algie growing on the weir walls. unbelievable!

Return to “Fishing”