Boat lighting

All things related to help you get the Catch of the day ...
julian

Boat lighting

Post by julian » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:03 pm

Recently bought a brand spanking new 3.8 metre aluminium dinghy and a new 15hp yamaha to match (model 15FMHS / 15FMHL i think- thats a portable 2 stroke).
My question is about rigging up some spotlights so i can go garfish dabbing. The motor has a 12v power socket to draw from the onboard alternator (12V-80W (6A) so the manual tells me).
What can be done for my application? Should i rig up a battery that can be charged from the motor while it is being used, or should i just buy a car battery and charge it with an ordinary mains battery charger out of the boat?

Can anyone speak from experience???
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

twc

Post by twc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Worked for years in commercial boats with yamaha and my experience is put a battery in the boat and charge it from the outboard motor. spotlights while fishing will flatten the battery very quickly, if not charged up as required. I dont know what the new motors are like but the older ones didnt put out much charge until the motor had a few revs up above idling, but once on the move did a good job of recharging quite quickly. I did read somewhere that yamahaand others had overcome the low charge problem on their newer motors when at idle. Make sure you use a Marine grade deep cycle battery.

julian

Post by julian » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:06 pm

Why a marine grade deep cycle?
Should i just cut the crap and use an isolated system that uses a car battery and then charge the thing on-shore? I will only be using it a dozen times a year.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:02 am

If your only going to use the thing occasionally, then just throw a car battery in when you are hunting gar and charge it in your shed. Extra weight in a small tinny can make a huge difference to how it handles, you dont want to be lugging it around every time you go out if its not being used.

You want a marine grade battery for starting, you dont need it for running a spotlight though. They are built tougher with heavier plates so they can handle the hammering they get in a planing hull. Worst case is your car battery will eventually collapse and you wont have your spotlight.. big deal.

If you want wire a permanent install into the boat then think about it this way. If you have a 100W spotlight, 3 5W nav lights and say a 10W fluro tube lighting up inside the hull, then your max load is 125W. at 12V thats about 10A.

Your charger will output 6A PEAK. so if you run your lights flat out for 1 hour, you will need to run the engine at full RPM for 1.67 hours to get teh battery back to where it was. Now realistically you will only turn the spotlight and deck light on intermittently, so your 6A charger is actually pretty useful.

I had a similar setup to this in my last tinny, however i also had a sounder and car stereo wired in. I used a small motorcycle starting battery and found that i never needed to charge it as the outboard always kept it topped up enough.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

julian

Post by julian » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 pm

Thanks guys,
I reckon for now i will just use my 6A-hour portable battery pack and the 50W spottie that i use for spear fishing. If I get around to getting some serious power gear into the boat I will go the full monty with a deep cycle battery etc all wired in.
Thanks again.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:23 pm

One thing to remember about rigging lights on a boat, dont use the hull as the ground/negative return. All those spare electrons running about will decay your boat. Always run a propper negative from your load back to the battery.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

julian

Post by julian » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Nice point, i will keep it a totally isolated system anyway as it is a manual start and i dont have/need any nav lights.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:54 am

julian wrote: i dont have/need any nav lights.
Mate, you *need* nav lights, regardless of where or when you think you'll be fishing...

Have a read of this...
http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cg ... 058057/1#1

$20 will get you some nav lights.

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:09 pm

hey Ben, what is your user name on ausfish? Mine is Jack_attack.

twc

Post by twc » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:13 pm

I agree with the last comment Nav lights are a must. They are a must,to be used in any instance of limited visibility. eg rain fog smoke even in the middle of the day. I used to be a boating/fisheries inspector, the amount of poeple ew ran across and sent home FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY AND OTHERS because they thought they didnt need nav lights was unbelievable. As the man says $20 for lights is a dam sight cheaper the the fine youll cop if caught out without them!

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:41 pm

BYB-01 wrote:hey Ben, what is your user name on ausfish? Mine is Jack_attack.
Ausfish - BenatCoffs
Sportsfish - Ben78
Fishnet - Ben78

Don't post much at Ausfish, just read - they tend to be far too catch and release oriented, should have seen the shit I copped cos I kept the first cod I ever caught!!

I find the other two to be about the sport, but a feed is a suitable end result too.

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

julian

Post by julian » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:25 pm

Well I think you have convinced me. Full electric setup including navigation lights will find its way into the boat over the next few months.
Cheers for the input fellas.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Return to “Fishing”