Dinner Flat November 2007

All things related to help you get the Catch of the day ...
Ben

Dinner Flat November 2007

Post by Ben » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Well, made it up there again with a mate from Uni, and one of his mates - operation mega trout began in earnest!

Got there last friday afternoon and had a bit of a spin before the boys showed up. Hooked and dropped a small fish in the second pool then hooked and dropped another fish in the third pool. No more action was had on friday.

Woke up 5 am Saturday to find no gas so no hot showers or cooked breakfast, so had some weetbix and a crap coffee before setting off. We hit the house pool first and Jeremy hooked and dropped a decent brown at his feet (easy fish to lose the ol' at your feet hook up) excited by the good start we hurried along, for nothing after nothing after nothing. Eventually Ben pinned a small fish at 370 grams.

We continued on for nothing after nothing after nothing. Decided to turn around approx 6km downstream from the cabins and with the benefit of upstream I pinned a fish at 470g, then shortly after another at 530g - a new leader!!!

We got no more fish for the session.

That afternoon I took the boys to a spot on the Guy Fawkes I know and soon after Jeremy pinned an undersized brown (his first of species). Shortly after he spotted "the biggest trout I have ever seen" cruising the narrow creek - his spirits were boosted. Soon after he got a small rainbow the biggest of the trip so far at 560g

We then moved away from this spot and onto the common at Ebor to find a pool with a quantity of fish hitting the surface. Out came the longwand and a small white moth tied on (they were everywhere) no action, hrmmm so I tried a red tag, no more info - the only thing they could have been eating was tiny damselflies or some other midge, so I grabbed the smallest fly I own and tied it on - on the water a matter of seconds and was hit. A feisty 27cm rainbow was soon landed.

The boys added a few more to the tally using (ahem) worms under a float!

Sunday morning we woke at 5 ready to go and promptly fell back asleep... woke again at 7 and proceeded to the pools. Nothing looked at the celtas we were throwing and the boys bouyed by their luck with worms started throwing them around. Jeremy hooked up to something unstoppable in one pool before being bitten off (WTF???? and no it wasn't an eel, no slime on the line...) We moved on upstream and the boys shot up the Little Styx whilst I proceeded to an 'old favourite' hole further up the Serpentine. I flicked a number two red body vibrax to the shaded cliff face across the river, let it sink a few seconds and started the retrieve, the instant I turned the handle the line locked up and it was on! A fish tore across the river from the depths before leaping to the air. A few more deep sustained runs and a few more nerve racking leaps and I finally beached the fish. By no means a PB but I was pretty certain I'd be taking fish of the trip out with it! A 1.9kg 55cm buck rainbow trout

Certainly a great fish by any standard!

I carried my new prize back downstream and then up to meet the boys, where they proudly showed off a 760g brown as I approached, the look on their faces was priceless when I held up the big rainbow!

Over the next few hours a few more decent browns and rainbows were caught. Not the exciting times of a couple of years back when we nailed multiple 3kg+ fish, but certainly another trout trip to remember!

Oh yeah, and some tasty fillets to boot!

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

jsubie

Post by jsubie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Nice what do you call those things?

Na great looking fish [plate size]
:):confused::p:mad::confused:;):D:-D:???::p

cruzingbrumby

Post by cruzingbrumby » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:26 pm

paramatta supporters club reunion ? nice fish though

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:31 pm

cruzingbrumby wrote:paramatta supporters club reunion ? nice fish though
Nah, Muswellbrook Rams ex players club reunion

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:28 pm

beautiful! sure beats the single fish my friends and I caught there 2 years ago ... but then we were silly enough to go in January. Been meaning to go back down there, but it's too long a hike from brissie for just a long weekend.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:35 pm

nice effort boys!, really gotta dig out the trout gear again!

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:43 pm

stinky wrote:but then we were silly enough to go in January.
You'll pull trout all year round, granted they do have shutdown periods like all freshwater fish, but Ben and I can usually pull fish if it gets hard (ie, we always know a place we can go if needed). The Styx can be very hit and miss, and the tourist maps actually say that the river contains small numbers of large fish, rather than other streams with more smaller fish.

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Ben wrote:You'll pull trout all year round, granted they do have shutdown periods like all freshwater fish, but Ben and I can usually pull fish if it gets hard (ie, we always know a place we can go if needed). The Styx can be very hit and miss, and the tourist maps actually say that the river contains small numbers of large fish, rather than other streams with more smaller fish.
you know he's spent too long out in the sun when Ben starts to say things like 'Ben and I' ...
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

Ben

Post by Ben » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:30 am

Ben was the guy in the first pic. It's "The Two Ben's" fishing adventures :P

Return to “Fishing”