Vortex rear shocks/springs

Got something to sell ? Put it in here ...
Silverbullet

Vortex rear shocks/springs

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:08 am

Thought I'd put these up on here first instead of throwing them away...

These are from the rear of a 2WD vortex of unknown year with a yellow paint mark for those who want to know. I took a punt on them to see if they would work in the rear of my wagon but they are just too long, there's no way they will fit. Condition is sort of an unknown since I can't test them, but the pink rubber bumper that usually lives inside one of the dust guards up top is no longer present in either of them; chunks of pink powdery rubber kept falling out of them! :neutral: The lower eyelet rubbers on both look a bit tired (see pics) One of the top mounting brackets is upside down in the pic but I can swap that around again easily.

Markings on them are:
SUBARU V119
21022GA801
KYB

Can I ask for $20 on these? I'll have lost at least that on what I paid for them but I don't much care, they're taking up space and getting in the way now. If someone is really keen I could probably post them via courier. If nobody wants them they'll probably go in the bin.

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:16 am

so if they are too long for your wagon, they will be way to long for my brumby :-(

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:36 am

Most likely. I planned to use something like this so I could have springs in the back and not need a 2" lift bracket on the shock. If your brum is standard height they would be way too long.

I worked out with these, if I flip the top mount bracket then the distance between mounting holes top and bottom is perfect, but there's too much stuff sticking out the top (nuts, bushes, threaded rod) which hits the wheel well. Plus the mounting brackets don't bolt up to MY so custom brackets needed there.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:08 pm

They are off a vortex?

Mine are adjustable they appear not to be adjustable. Or is that just the photo?

If they were in WA I would take them for my vortex as they look longer than mine.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:52 pm

These ones aren't adjustable, must be from an earlier model. According to this thread on USMB there were adjustable struts on some Vorts, maybe I need to get my hands on a pair of these :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:29 pm

Its the earlier model L series that has the adjustable '3 position' shocks where you move the spring perch up or down on the tabs on the side of the shock.

they went to fixed positions later.

I have a set of adjustable style new KYB replacement shocks here if you want the part numbers, you will need the OE spring perches.

Edit: It appears the part numbers for the shocks and the OE perches or in the tread you linked to above, but give me a hoi if you want the numbers off the boxes I have...
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:22 pm

L Series FWD rear coils I measured up were 9.9mm wire diameter, the 4WD RX ones were 10.9mm with yellow paint daub- for any trivia buffs :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:36 pm

As Nncoolg has said, the adjustable rear struts are on the "series 1" L series - 1984 to mid 1987 models.

With those rear struts from the vortex you'll need to run a 1 inch lift to make it a two inch lift. The boys used to run a two inch lift with the 2wd rear struts for an extra inch lift.

Your only other option is to run some sort of rodeo shock with the stock torsion bar. I don't know the exact details of the rodeo shocks though :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:18 pm

El_Freddo wrote:As Nncoolg has said, the adjustable rear struts are on the "series 1" L series - 1984 to mid 1987 models.

With those rear struts from the vortex you'll need to run a 1 inch lift to make it a two inch lift. The boys used to run a two inch lift with the 2wd rear struts for an extra inch lift.

Your only other option is to run some sort of rodeo shock with the stock torsion bar. I don't know the exact details of the rodeo shocks though :(

Cheers

Bennie

As much as this wasn't supposed to be a discussion thread, I have to ask :rolleyes: If I bought brand new shockers from Monroe or Pedders or some such (as nncoolg has) plus OE spring perches, I could whack these springs I've got on them and I'd be all set? If I did spend all that money on new parts, I'd want to know for certain it was going to work (why I bought these from a wrecker to begin with) The reason I'm chasing this rear strut/spring idea is because my old torsion bar I think is shagged, and I want a more modern suspension setup.

Maybe there's a use for these struts yet...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:40 pm

It works in my brumby :)

This is how my brumby sits with the torsion bar wound to about 50%

this is the way I've installed the vortex shocks

and this is the clearance from the shock to the body about a centimetre at its closest point

Adjustable shocks would probably work better in a wagon as it has more weight over the rear setup.

You would have to fabricate a top mount for the shocks and a 25mm spacer to stop the shock hitting the body.

TOONGA

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks again TOONGA, now I remember seeing these shots of yours and they make more sense to me now. You'll have to forgive me for being so forgetful about these things :rolleyes: Custom top mounts are not a problem, I was expecting to make some anyway.

Right then, I'll have to get some part numbers in hand and find some OE spring perches. So the sale of these struts may be on hold for the moment.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:11 am

Not a problem SB, but remember with a normal L series shock invert the top bracket/mount, so the longer shock would sit in place and the car could sit a bit lower.

A bit of fun for your manufacturing and welding skills :)

TOONGA

Return to “For Sale”