EOI: MY wagon rear quarter glass rubbers

Got something to sell ? Put it in here ...
Silverbullet

EOI: MY wagon rear quarter glass rubbers

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:31 pm

In the quest for new window seals for my wagon project, I've had to investigate the path of getting custom rubbers made. For the rear quarter glass on the MY wagons, genuine seals are obviously NLA - I was lucky to find one NOS from the UK. I'm not even considering using pre-loved seals since they're all perished by now anyway.

Luckily a brother of someone I know makes a living from making custom rubber seals for old cars, hot rods, resto projects etc. There is pretty much no rubber seal he can't custom make. He's got my NOS rubber as a sample at the moment, and unfortunately to replicate the seal that I need some custom tooling is required which means big $$$. For a single customer like me this usually isn't feasible or cost effective unless there is a market for these seals from other people.

So this ad is for expressions of interest from anyone on here who would be interested in this item.

Originally I only wanted the one side, as a one off for my car. That is the left hand side (passenger side in AUS, drivers side in US) To make the custom tooling required the cost is going to be high; I haven't got an exact figure yet but it could be towards $1000 or maybe more. I realize that if anyone else is going to be interested in these rubbers they're going to want both sides - I haven't asked about the possibility of getting both sides made yet but I would assume it would be 2 x custom tools so double the money. I'll get more info this Friday hopefully.

So if there are any people who would definitely be interested in these (even if it's only 10 people, it would make this adventure cost effective) Here's how it would work:
  • I'm going to need definite customers/commitments for this, no maybe's or pulling out at the last minute.
  • My cost will be your cost, I won't be looking to make any profit on these
  • Once we come up with a rough price per unit, I will be looking for deposits from those who put their hands up via Paypal - this will only be $20 or so (obviously the more people interested, the lower the cost per unit)
  • Time frame - might not be a long wait. This guy makes these things as a job so might only take a few weeks.
As I said, originally I was only looking at getting the LH seal made, but those who want these are going to want both. I will ask the question about making both, keep in mind the cost could then be double.

I'll attach a scan to this ad of the page from my parts catalog with the seal I'm talking about for clarity (Item 9/10 in the diagram) Again, rear quarter glass seal from MY STATION WAGON ONLY so 1980 to 1984 incl. Touring wagons.

I'll try and get this message to guys over in the US as well (via USMB or failbook) to try and boost numbers. If anyone is interested please reply to this ad below, might be easier to keep track that way than filling up my mailbox with PM's. Hopefully we don't have any more forum time travelling in the near future :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Attachments
seals.jpg
seals.jpg (88.81 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Extrusions ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Have you got a photo of the old section ?

You might be able to get something close to it :

More from here : http://www.rubberextrusion-cn.com/1-5-g ... usion.html

There were also another mob in WA that were looking to get some door pillar moulds done for the Hardtop, don't know if anything came of it.

Add : Another place to check out :

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/S ... 980-89.htm

Cheers, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Bantum, regular/off the shelf molding would work if it weren't for one of the corners on the wagon rear quarter glass - very strange shape that can't easily be replicated. Scotts old auto rubber has nothing like what I want either.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “For Sale”