MY 6 gauge analogue dash

For those seeking stuff - put your add here ...
nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:40 pm

It would be a twin carb on a standard intake manifold wouldn't it? The 'safari' engines were just a factory mod for the rally teams weren't they?
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

KiwiL

Post by KiwiL » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 pm

nncoolg wrote:It would be a twin carb on a standard intake manifold wouldn't it? The 'safari' engines were just a factory mod for the rally teams weren't they?
The two RXs in the wrecker's yard both have the 'standard' EA81S, twin carb with reversed valves etc.
The one in the link (for sale on TradeMe for $20,000) has a genuine ex-Possum Bourne Safari engine in it, by the looks of the carb setup. Also has some interesting coilovers. Rare.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Let's not get too excited, he's gone stone silent :neutral: Research tells me he's got a few of those engines lying around but doesn't sell them.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:16 pm

When i looked into putting one of them into my 82 model, i found there were two things i had to do , to make it work. My 82 didnt have the yellow rpm wire go all the way to the coil. It went from dash to the plug near the firewall, but no further. The other thing is the oil sender. The oil light sender is only a earthing unit to make the light come on. I had to get a oil preasure sender to make the gauge work right. Best thing to do is , check if you have both of the things i just said about.

If you have a touring wagon or a didgi dash or lucky enough to have a model that comes with a lond dash, forget what i just typed.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:56 pm

Wow, if those engines were sitting in a wreckers near me not doing much I'd be down there pronto.

Shame there's a puddle between them and me :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks Rick, I knew about the oil sender, just need to find somewhere that sells them. Or there's a new genuine one on ebay for big $$$.

Bennie, so would I but still no good if he doesn't want to sell them :neutral:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

BrumBeeBoy

Post by BrumBeeBoy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:46 am

Go with the long style dash for the build - you'll get a 6 gauge cluster in the end!

I've got one.
Did the conversion in a Targa Brumby about 10 years back and keep the cluster after parting ways with the ute.

It was out of a 2wd coupe bought for it's engine, the crashpad & cluster taken for the dash upgrade.

PM me or call on 0422893341

Ray

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:41 pm

The search is over! :D :D :D

I can't really believe it, I've been looking for one of these for so long it feels a little surreal :eek:

The NZ Cromwell auto wreckers came up with the goods, a top bloke to deal with I would recommend him to anyone here looking for rare/old Subaru bits. This cluster has pretty low k's (190,xxx) although the perspex is a bit fogged it's nothing major, I can safely take the front off and polish it out.

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Ohh , you got a NZ one, You do know that the NZ MY models ran a different electrical system didn't you ?, you will need to put in a new loom and a different alternator , regulator and fuse set up. pain in the proverbial but worth it I suppose.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 pm

if it seems too much to do I could take it off your hands for what it cost you ( as it happens i have a NZ import brumby ATM that could take it no problems) and then you could keep looking for an Aus sourced one.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:44 pm

henpecked wrote: if it seems too much to do I could take it off your hands for what it cost you ( as it happens i have a NZ import brumby ATM that could take it no problems) and then you could keep looking for an Aus sourced one.
Nope :)

I noticed some differences in the dash loom straight away, so I thought it wouldn't just be plug and play. I'm taking the lot to an auto elecs to discuss my options. A semi-rewire is on the cards if possible. If not, full re-wire. I'm sure with my 2 different factory service manuals we can work it out :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Well done SB!! I can finally say welcome to the SIX CLUSTER ANALOGUE TACHO SOCIETY (scats for short) :D:D:D
Wish I was there to help with sorting out wiring, as that's what I went through last year!!
Just remember you only have to trace one single wire at a time, it only looks hard cause there are lots of them!!
Good luck
John

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:13 pm

henpecked wrote:Ohh , you got a NZ one, You do know that the NZ MY models ran a different electrical system didn't you ?, you will need to put in a new loom and a different alternator , regulator and fuse set up. pain in the proverbial but worth it I suppose.
Surely the wiring isn't that different!

I know there is a difference with the 6 gauge instrument cluster wiring but for me it turned out to be swap the wiring behind the cluster to match the 6 and she was all good to go. This was after stripping half of the wiring in the vehicle :evil:

You'll get there SB, a rewire shouldn't be that hard, especially if the wiring is out of the vehicle at the moment.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:10 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Surely the wiring isn't that different!

I know there is a difference with the 6 gauge instrument cluster wiring but for me it turned out to be swap the wiring behind the cluster to match the 6 and she was all good to go. This was after stripping half of the wiring in the vehicle :evil:

You'll get there SB, a rewire shouldn't be that hard, especially if the wiring is out of the vehicle at the moment.

Cheers

Bennie
Please don't post up good advice Bennie, I'm trying to get this off Sam for almost nothing and a load of B/S ---- and I'm certain I'm at least half-way there.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:34 pm

^ I'm right here, I can still read that you know ^

:rolleyes:

If you want one so badly, he's got a few more in the yard. I chose the best of the bunch though ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:06 am

Like the package ... :)

P.S. - If you don't mind me asking, how much did it end up costing all up ? ( round figure with postage would be nice ) as I might hit them up for another one ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Bantum wrote:Like the package ... :)

P.S. - If you don't mind me asking, how much did it end up costing all up ? ( round figure with postage would be nice ) as I might hit them up for another one ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...
Less than $150, quite reasonable I think :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:41 pm

Believe this is the gauge sender unit for the oil gauge on the 6 gauge dash.
I am planning to one at some stage.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Suba ... 1c3f3a319f

Return to “Wanted”