Wanted Scorpion Rims x 5

For those seeking stuff - put your add here ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Kalbarri_baru wrote:Got a random email from someone called Amy offering 5 Scorpion rims (Second hand) for $2300.00 neg.

That price was waaaaaaayyyyyyy outa my price range even if they were brand new and personally delivered from Brisbane to Kalbarri.

What price would you pay ?
Did you tell them they're DREAMING!!?

That's insane. If people are paying that price (who am I kidding) I might *just* be persuaded to sell my scorpion rims... just.

What would I pay? The first set of 5 I got with four near new Kumho Road Venturer MTs (awesome tread no longer available) I paid $950 for. I was a bit trigger happy when I saw them. Postage from QLD was $90 so I was happy with the deal over all.

The next set was $400 with the wild conquerer super trippers - another great tread no longer available :( That was a set of four.

Did I say I was a bit trigger happy? I want to up my rim count to two sets of six so I can rotate in two tyres each time I do a rotation - plus for remote travel it's best to carry two spares...

Keen to know how the movement on reproduction units is coming along.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:28 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Did you tell them they're DREAMING!!?

That's insane. If people are paying that price (who am I kidding) I might *just* be persuaded to sell my scorpion rims... just.

Keen to know how the movement on reproduction units is coming along.

Cheers

Bennie
Heya Bennie, your sentiments are quite similar to Paul's when I told him.

As for the reproduction of the new series of rims I have heard nothing as of yet but I am eagerly awaiting a response, but if I hear anything further I will PM you.

Hows it all goin in Vic ????

Cheers

WayneO................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 am

Guys i do have some info with how things are going. I have a design and profile with measurements but the file is too big to download so i need some help on how to do it. I could send it by private email if rsr555 or bantum are interested or anyone else. It will only be in 14x6 in white, black or satin chrome powdercoat.

Bantum
General Member

Huh ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:46 am

phil nelis wrote: ... I have a design and profile with measurements but the file is too big to download ...
What sort of file are we talking about here ? If it's a CAD or Just an Image file you can turn them into a PDF for easier download - or if it were done in Sketch up, upload to 3D whore house ( up to 10MB ) for free ... :D

Email the file to me ( Via PM ) if you can't get it to load ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

phil nelis

huh

Post by phil nelis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:30 pm

i have pm`d you. the file is 77kb on a pdf but my computer skills are very limited. I want to get this out there to get feedback as i may need to spend a fair bit of money to have moulds made and shipping and so on. I know people get excited about products and say they want to buy but then in the end don`t buy so it`s going to take alot of toing and froing before final decision is made as i don`t want to get stuck with alot of these wheels.

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:07 pm

How`s a centre thickness of 5mm and a rim thckness of 3.5/3.75mm sound for a load rating of 850-950kg sound.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:58 pm

phil nelis wrote:How`s a centre thickness of 5mm and a rim thckness of 3.5/3.75mm sound for a load rating of 850-950kg sound.
That sounds about right for what the actual scorpion rims are - particularly the centre thickness ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bantum
General Member

Test Drawing ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Ok - I've now got in a format that we can see :

Sorry about the Chinese text though ... Where on earth did you get it from Phil ? ... :p

I have a larger JPG image available if you want + I'm working on putting it up on 3D Warehouse later ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 pm

Excuse the ignorance but what is it about scorpion rims that make them sought after?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:41 pm

ktmtragic wrote:Excuse the ignorance but what is it about scorpion rims that make them sought after?
They look AWESOME! :o Well better than Speedy's or Sunraysia style wheels IMO. I'm sure there are other reasons too :wink:

For what it's worth (a stranger on an internet forums word) anyone considering getting new ones made I'm definitely interested, being skeptical of a persons commitment to something like this is understandable especially because of the initial outlay.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:02 pm

The answer to your question is the centre bore hole was made to fit on the locating lugs on the hub. Also the offset was correct for m y series and brumby. There are other reasons as well but i have posted these before and the posts were removed so i won`t repeat. I will under private discussion though.

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks bantum but i can`t reveal sources yet as it`s still in planning stage. I would like to see it a bit clearer though so readers could see the measurements and technical details but i don`t know if it can be done. I do hope it will generate enough interest though as i`m planning on other countries as well because of the lack of rims available.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:52 pm

Hey Phil, I'm happy to help out if needed
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Almost ready to green light production. Just waiting on confirmation of some details but am possibly going to go with 3.5mm thick rim and 5mm thick centre for a load rating of 850kg. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:20 pm

A 15 inch version would be great as well but probably not on the cards.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:48 pm

Very keen to see the results of this, good luck phil! :p
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Heya Phil, any ideas on the proposed price on these rims.

Can't wait to see the end result.

Cheers

WayneO.................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:58 pm

phil nelis wrote:Almost ready to green light production. Just waiting on confirmation of some details but am possibly going to go with 3.5mm thick rim and 5mm thick centre for a load rating of 850kg. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
850kg per wheel sounds quite a lot, so it should be strong but what would the weight of the rim be compared to the desert rats? as I find the desert rats slow the car down quite a bit.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:53 am

A 15 inch version would be great as well but probably not on the cards.
+1 ;)
I would def like these in 15"s

Even at 14" I would seriously consider purchasing a set of 5 of these wheels - when they go into production:)

Will the offset be suitable for L series?

J.

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:55 am

Thought about 15`s but with mods needed to fit them into the guards with decent tyres on and reduced turning circle plus the need for larger body lift, yes it would be fun to have that extra ground clearance but the change in the centre of gravity could have them rolling over quite easily. Weight will probably be a little heavier than desert rats but to make a quality product you have to do what you have to do. Trying to build a quality product for aussie conditions. I think 850-900kg load rating is more than ample as most other rims are nowhere near this figure. Around half from info already sourced. Price is still yet to be finalised as changes all involve cost but we will try to keep it as low as possible as we want to send these all over the world to our fellow suby owners who have limited choices as well.

Return to “Wanted”