review your current navGPS under $300

How to get from A to B & devices used ...
steptoe
Master Member

review your current navGPS under $300

Post by steptoe » Thu May 14, 2009 9:45 am

with a seemingly ever changing market of navigation GPS units, if you have one that is still currently available under the $300 mark and wanna give a short review of its good bad or indifferent points - I , and a few others may appreciate it. So many different ones to choose. Keeping it under the $300 mark should filter out the extras now coming with them like bluetooth, etc. I am more concerned with ease of use, reliability jada jada jada

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu May 14, 2009 10:11 am

grab a garmin.

I run mobilePC in my car and MobileXT on my phone. The same software runs on their range of in car navigators. I have used a lot of different GPS software over the years an this is by far the best I have tried.

My sister just got a widescreen garmin in car GPS for 298 from JB hifi. I recommend the bigger screen if you can afford it.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 14, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks, I have always been impressed with Garmin, right back to their flying (microlight anyway) nav stuff and more recently seen their graphics on nav

OK, so first question is
do you tend to find yourself looking at a bigger screen, this now raises the idea I am thinking the spoken instruction needs to be loud and clear. The Garmin pass on this?

Recommend bigger screen than widescreen $298?

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu May 14, 2009 10:31 am

her widescreen is fine.

I would recommend you go play with one at JB or similar

I find the voice commands very clear. It doesn't however read out street names (some GPS can do this)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Thu May 14, 2009 10:31 am

Im using a ppc I bought for 215 on ebay with a gps logger bluetooth receiver.

The gps logger is pretty good, it logs the positions and the info for retrieval later throught usb, you can then load it up into google earth etc allowing you to see time speed and distance traveled. I bought for trail bike riding, it's small and could take more of a bashing than a phone.

ATM i'm using igo8 which ive found to be better than tomtom which i was using before. The graphics are nice and the way you input destinations I think is better too.

Ive also put tomtom onto my sister $99 aldi unit to replace that god awful one that came with it, seems to work ok. Theres a site called ppcwarez which has all the pna/pda versions of gps programs well worth a look.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Vincentvega: Where did you get the Garmin MobileXT software from? I *cough* tried it on my phone and it was great, but of course had no maps. I wouldn't mind the $90ish price because it is at least a one-off, whereas to do anything other than look at the map with the nokia maps application that came with the phone I have to pay for a minimum two weeks - up to yearly chunks for $140+

*edit*

There is an alternative for some phones. There's an application called MGMaps (mobile google maps) that, with a download program, allows you to download the images from google maps onto your phone. Technically google doesn't like you doing it, though.

It's somewhat limited, but with an internet connection will allow you to do routing, though no voice. And you're not limited to using google's images. Overall it's good. But not as good as a bought program. I think it's moving towards being open source, so hopefully things will improve.
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

ian059

Post by ian059 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Who likes Top Gear then? mmm?

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Wed May 20, 2009 9:09 pm

That song was the best part of the whole episode. Which says something haha.
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

lefty

Post by lefty » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:38 am

I stumbled onto this gem while googling for a GPS for both on/offroad.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23569

The main attraction with this 5" GPS is that it cost $100 and it is CRACKABLE.
There is a lot of info on the net on how to do this. Info here
http://gpsunlock.net/home/

You can add pretty much any GPS program onto it. I am running IGo8 for onroad and Oziexplorer CE for offroad. With a bit of playing around I also managed to use it as an OBDII scanner with the use of a bluetooth OBDII dongle like this

A GPS that can also clear error codes - cool!
I've had it for over 6 months and it's been reliable and sturdy. There are heaps of other features which I don't use like movie player, MP3 player, ebook reader, bluetooth handsfree, etc. Highly recommend it
MY05 Forester XT

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:56 am

Guys - if you get TomTom units down under then for simplicity of use and clear concise driver instruction they are the dogs wotsits.:mrgreen:
Get the biggest screen you can afford to for best imagery.

As for Garmin.......I once borrowed one for a trip up to Middlesborough.
Garmin at the time were shirt sponsors to Middlesborough FC.
The damm thing got me totally lost in Middlesborough !
God knows how the sponsored foreign players managed to find their way around town using the freebie garmins they no doubt were issued with !!!!
This is totally true. The sponsors kit bumed out in the town of the footy club they backed! :p

The units mapping was totally out. I was informed it was totally updated as well before I set out.
Never had drama's with my TomTom.:D
The outback's on board sat nat cannot find Telford though :rolleyes:
So I guess they can all have issues???:confused:
However in the last week the Garmin GPS shock and bomb proof unit has just come tops in the UK's gadget show destruction resistance test.:mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

Chrus

Post by Chrus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:38 am

Im trialling a fairly basic setup atm:

Garmin eTrex + old laptop + 4wd raster map/Shonky map collection + oziexplorer.

So far it seems quite good - but if your looking for step by step instructions on how to 'get' to your destination this is not the system for you. Its good if you think regionally (requirement of my occupation) and are a good navigator already.

Next step for me is to intergrate it into car PC with in dash touch screen (n3rd!) :mrgreen:
MY05 WRX STI Spec C Type Ra
MY05 Legacy Outback LLBean
89 Legacy RS Turbo

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 pm

i know its over the 300 dollars,
but the garmin nuvi 500 is the beez kneez, priced at 499.00. somewhat cheaper than most of its multimode competitors

much like the hema navigator, and the magellan crossover, and VMS system,
best price on the market, and best perforamnce on the market, really reliable around the streets, and excellent off road as it is designed for multi purpose use,
also being waterproof fopr people wanting to take it out of the car for a hike, motorbike/quad bike ride, and even on the boat
best value updates online for street maps,
off road maps are 229 bux, for genuine, or 229 still for oztopo (aftermarket)
full touch screen, with NO stlyus pen, so u never need to go thru small file options and setting trying to squint at the small print,
you dont really need off road maps, you can go into off road mode without them, but they have topograhical lines,
kinda handy to know whats ahead?
i take mine out kayakin, it sits above deck, gets splashed etc, no worries, just a light rinse when i get home,
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:57 pm

my wife has a Tom Tom One which came brand new with my brumby it works a treat

my niece has a Mio moov 300 which is an interesting device to say the least, the menus are a pain in the rectum to navigate and it gives you instructions to turn as you go past an intersection.

she asked me to update the maps, it was going to cost nearly 60 dollars for the map with no guarantee that it would have the new Forrest Hwy on it, which is all she wanted to update. as when you are on the Hwy the GPS tells you that you are driving in a paddock.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Navigation”