"Quick" head gasket change for EA82 MPFI?

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
CubanPete

"Quick" head gasket change for EA82 MPFI?

Post by CubanPete » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi groovers

Hey, great forum, forgive my newbieness.....

I have an EA82 MFI that was running warm in the car, showing some bubbles in radiator and some oil slick, hence will be worthwhile to replace head gasket.
More a leak than a blow.....

Motor has only 160k on it, rest is fine (I hope)

Now looking at it....I'm going "hmmm" what is the QUICKEST way to do this?

Can I take JUST the RC covers/rockers/heads off OR do I have to have to take everything off from the the front and the top of the motor also?

I've mainly worked on VW engines before and one EA81....but the EA82s got wires and plumbing everywhere which I'm hoping to avoid disconnecting if possible

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
Cheers
Pete

tex

Post by tex » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 am

I just did an engine change in my lib And even with cruise control hill hold air con and power steering they can be surprisingly simple, I doubt you can do it in the car but I have in the brumby but I had to lift the engine up a fair bit to get the bottom head bolts out! First disconnect and remove the battery - first then the simplest thing to do is keep everything as complete as possible like unbolt the air con and power steering (if applicable) then swing them off to the sides hoses still attached same with the air cleaner etc and speedo cables and then work your way around the engine in a clockwise direction writing things down as you disconnect them all trying to do them as groups then lastly do the two engine mounts under neath and exhaust manifold then you have the freedom to maneuver the engine around as need be! Also i would pull out the radiator to make a bit more room (auto's i'd think twice about though) but if you get to this stage theres less than half a dozen more bolts and you can have the whole engine out!
Criticism is welcome and expected of this reply but it is how I would do it!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Don't be scared of the wiring loom connectors, they are idiot proof. To ease your reasembly and brain use those cheapo coloured zip ties to tag A joins A, B joins B, done it on the fuel inlet and vapour lines, marked each end my spark leads using RED for 1, BLUE for 2 (rhymes), GREEN for 3, YELLOW for 4. You'll see the number of letters in each colour name increases the higher my allocated number.

You have to remove inlet and exhaust manifolds, timing belts etc. It is an easier to do job by ripping engine out first. Reset dizzy correctly and belts and you'll be zipping along in no time. get the heads done / serviced or checked to avoid disappointment.

Plenty in here to SEARCH (hint, hint) on EA82 head jobs

tex

Post by tex » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Good tips! ive been caught out when putting the fuel lines before!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

it can be done within the car, my hands are far from small *cough cough* but was able to do it on a ea82t.

it is easyier with the engine out but if you can't get it out, it can still be done.

i would recommend removing radiator/grill (if you dont have air con this makes it so much easier when the grills out), then the front (covers, loosen belts), intake/exhaust then removing cam boxes/heads.

but like steptoe said remember or mark all lines that arn't easy to remember were they go once removed.

i was damn quick at it with the ea82t after having the wrong head gaskets in there, and you dont have a turbo and oil/water lines in the bloody way.

CubanPete

Torque settings and bolt order for EA82 MPFI

Post by CubanPete » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for the help! OK donk is out, manifold off, timing stuff off.
I'm about to unbolt the heads.....BUT before I do, I'd like to know the sequence for unbolting, rebolting, and torque settings generally for this EA82 SOHC, MPFI.....unfortunately my manual (such as it is) does not cover EFI models....could anyone scan and post the page of torque settings if they have one? and maybe a picture of the head showing the sequence?

Has anyone got or seen any e-manuals or hard copy for this motor?...I'd be happy to buy but....no one seems to have one!

Cheers
Pete
0415 272 158

tony

Post by tony » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:31 am

in general unbolt in a circle, starting at one end, undo just a 1/4 turn the end bolts, then go to the other end undo those, then work in towards the centre, when done go back and undo each 1/2 turn, then safe to just undo.
when installing start in the centre and work out.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:36 am

efi heads no different to carby in the head bolt tightening/undo sequence. There are manuals evailable in here I think. Until then, bottom row = B, top row = T

1st B middle
2nd T and just to YOUR left looking at it as rocker view
3rd T and just to your right looking at it as rocker view
4th B and just to your right of 1st
5th B and just to your left
6th T most left
7th T most right
8th B most right
9th B most left

description for LHS head, follow same seq for right as per gregorys manual.

says just loosen gradually on cold engine - no sequence

petty

Post by petty » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:28 pm

To replace the head gasket, first remove the intake manifold, then next is the exhaust manifold and then the head. Check the head to see if it is warped or cracked. The best way is to get a repair manual and follow their directions.

Return to “Tech Manual”