ea81 timing without flywheel

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Digging up an old old thread just for the hell of it :rolleyes:

Just to let Tweety know, the key way on the crank of my EA81S points at 3 O'clock when #1 cylinder is at TDC, does not line up with the line in the crank case halves at 12 O'clock ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:28 am

Gidday SB
I havent been active for some time. The result of getting my recoed ea81 running reliably and economically.

Bennie was here one day with Sunny (Brumby ea81) and we compared his timing and the location of the crank key and it was how I described it. So unless your "S" engine is different I'm at a loss.

This new engine (well 10 months old now lol) runs at 10 degrees BTDC. If the crank key was 90 degrees out at 3 o'clock then it would be running at 102 degrees BTDC. Furthermore the engine runs sweet and delivers 26-30 mpg. No hiccups, no idles issues at all. No choke so needs....turn key wait for fuel to fill carbie, pump throttle 3 times then start. Starter goes only 1-2 seconds and its away.

So don't think its out of timing at all. Further investigation needed eh.
Tony
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:55 am

reading back on it Bungers never came back .....to say or thank
member since 10january2014 #6191

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:39 am

yes, bungers didn't reply.

The way of the world nowadays I suppose, not that it is acceptable. People go to a lot of effort to reply/respond and then nothing???

I get emails from this site if there is a reply, then reply quickly. This is good as I'm not near as active here as I used to be. Building my own caravan ATM and little spare time even though I'm retired. Cheers.

Caravan weighs tare only 330kgms. Trike can tow it.

Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:47 pm

Tweety wrote:Gidday SB
I havent been active for some time. The result of getting my recoed ea81 running reliably and economically.

Bennie was here one day with Sunny (Brumby ea81) and we compared his timing and the location of the crank key and it was how I described it. So unless your "S" engine is different I'm at a loss.

This new engine (well 10 months old now lol) runs at 10 degrees BTDC. If the crank key was 90 degrees out at 3 o'clock then it would be running at 102 degrees BTDC. Furthermore the engine runs sweet and delivers 26-30 mpg. No hiccups, no idles issues at all. No choke so needs....turn key wait for fuel to fill carbie, pump throttle 3 times then start. Starter goes only 1-2 seconds and its away.

So don't think its out of timing at all. Further investigation needed eh.
Tony
Don't sweat it, I don't even need timing marks where I'm going with my ignition :twisted:

Good to hear your trike is finally working well for you! Time to get out there and use it on the open road, I like the mini caravan :cool:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Tech Manual”