turbo L series wagon?

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
pzs

turbo L series wagon?

Post by pzs » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Was there ever a L series Turbo wagon released from factory, with 4 wheel disc's, if so did it have a LSD rear diff, can anyone shed light on this VIN on l series plate

JF2AK5ER0EE218714

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 am

Released from factory , but not here in Australia

Japan
Fuji
2 multi purpose passenger vehicle
A car line
K wagon with step roof
5 1800cc 4WD
E 88 MY
Right hand drive
0 dummy position
E multi point fuel injection , factory turbo had a B here
E 4WD 5MT dual rang

no indicator of its diff in the VIN - that dummy could have been put to work

pzs

Post by pzs » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Thank's for that

pzs

Post by pzs » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:30 pm

pzs wrote:Was there ever a L series Turbo wagon released from factory, with 4 wheel disc's, if so did it have a LSD rear diff, can anyone shed light on this VIN on l series plate

JF2AK5ER0EE218714
Update I just bought this car sight unseen except for some pictures on gumtree. Car runs, that's all I know, I'm in Alice, cars in Melbourne.

My plan is to fly down with permit and drive it back, I'm not worried about condition(only paid $600 for it). I can get parts there,cam belts, w/pump/rad if required. and do a quick repair/service... that's the beauty of ea82, and if required, 2nd hand tyres etc. My concern is the electrics, never had a turbo/injected ea82,

should I be worried about this if car is questionable. I am only doing 2700km on bitumen at a sedate speed

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 pm

chemiweld, cargo seal up both at SCA, an injector cleaner and new fuel filter after a while would not hurt.
Think about it - should be seing fewer cars on the side of the road in broken down state now most cars have been efi for a long while now.
An L is an old car those fusible links under the plastic cover are good things to replace with the updated plastic doo dads, also SCA

search fusible links in here to get an idea. I paid $600 for a turbo L sedan and had to truck it home, then build an engine for it :) Done 100,000km in it :)

Someone else showed me same ad same day you asked about it, non cyberspace dude

pzs

Post by pzs » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Cargo seal up both at sca? Not sure what this is, I will post a photo of car and maybe some one might know it,shistory

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:34 pm

pzs wrote:Cargo seal up both at sca?
Cargo Seal, not the same but looked like this one.

Chemiweld

Both available at SCA. Think Jonno means not a bad idea to pop in the rad before the trip, seal up any nasties as they occur. Dump and flush when you get home.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:58 pm

The turbo wagon in question - is this the silver touring wagon with the lift and rear tyre carrier?

Should make for an interesting drive...

Carry spare heater hoses - top and bottom radiator hoses and some of that little stuff as there's a few of the smaller hoses that could go pear shaped on the top of the block. Chuck in some new clamps for good measure too.

All the best with it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pzs

Post by pzs » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:42 am

Sca...super cheap auto, understand, are the smaller hoses on the block the same as non turbo? and yes it sounds like the same car, silver, alloy 14 's steel rear bar, if you know of the history would be good, came from wreckers, looking at photos it had stickers on it that would indicate it was from tassy at some stage

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 am

If you buy the hoses, fit them. The hoses on the block ? Those little 7mm ID hoses are the same as the mpfi NA ones except for the turbo coolant ones. One from thermostat to or from turbo is 12mm ID and usually gets 12.7mm ID heater hose and can dribble. 1/2" silicone hose is best for this job. The other coolant hose underneath is about $60 genuine. I used to use a 77? Toy landcruiser rear heater hose and cut to length, last time I checked Gates stopped the CH2622? in Oz. Here, I used silicone hose and one of the unicoil now by Gates spring like hose shaper.

If you wanna open another typical EA82T can of worms - the metal hose from its banjo bolt on turbo side head at site of drain plug on all non hairdryers- bolt gets clogged up, threads bond by electrolisys (sp?) strip on removal, turbo gets gunked u in its coolant passages - so a reverse flush from top 12mm ID hose through turbo to head through $500 genuine ex Japan worth of metal hoses $60 for the banjo bolt.

Best tool for the job is a watchdog TM2 $149 - for your convenience :) http://www.enginewatchdog.com/tm2.html delivered from Brisbane - bolt it on to the head, plug the cig plug into lighter power socket and it will monitor engine metal temp and scream at you if it hits an alert temp set by you

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 am

This permit you are getting, does car need a roadworthy inspection pass ?

pzs

Post by pzs » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:10 am

I sign a stat dec form attached to permit from NT MVR dept, that's states items of roadworthiness. $45 for 7 day permit, from point of pick up to Gov registry office here in Alice, I get to car 2 or 3 days prior to the dates on the permit to do any bodgying up to meet requirement.

This isn't really about the car...It is more about me getting away for a few days. I told my wife that I bought a car just down the road, I haven't mentioned yet that it is more than 2700km down the road, I'll need the days away from her when I tell her!

pzs

Post by pzs » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:16 am

steptoe wrote: If you wanna open another typical EA82T can of worms - the metal hose from its banjo bolt on turbo side head at site of drain plug on all non hairdryers- bolt gets clogged up, threads bond by electrolisys (sp?) strip on removal, turbo gets gunked u in its coolant passages - so a reverse flush from top 12mm ID hose through turbo to head through $500 genuine ex Japan worth of metal hoses $60 for the banjo bolt.
Is this best done with comp. air or will water hose pressure do the trick?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:40 am

pzs wrote:I told my wife that I bought a car just down the road, I haven't mentioned yet that it is more than 2700km down the road, I'll need the days away from her when I tell her!
I bet you will lol :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:31 pm

pzs wrote:Is this best done with comp. air or will water hose pressure do the trick?
Just an idea at this stage, I'd only want to put no more than running pressure through there 13 psi water.

Pulled a lot of EA82's and T's apart, most unloved for last part of their life.

Inlet manifold gaskets go to crap, inlet manifold has 10 and 12mm welch plugs that rot out, heads have three? 20mm welch plugs a side, rot out- leak coolant into sump, a new rad cap is a good idea but new pressure may budge other probs along..anyone got a can opener ?

pzs

Post by pzs » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:27 pm

Great...adventure before dementia.if there is anyone on this forum who lives between Melbourne and Alice, I'm might just need a place to store a broken down car for a awhile

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:31 am

Forewarned is fore-armed ??

Adventure before dementia - love that :p

Don't see that individual H.E.L.P. post for Melbunites to assist yet ??

1983wagon

Post by 1983wagon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:39 am

Ill deffinetly be investing in the watchdog once mine is rebuilt! Cheers steptoe
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Tech Manual”