89 Brumby Brake Improvments

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
Wooster

89 Brumby Brake Improvments

Post by Wooster » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Guys, I desire to improve the braking performance on the Brumby. I'm sure members have from experience solid recommendations they are prepared to share.

Ray

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:55 pm

not really sure this thread should be in the tech manual...

Upgrade your front brakes to "L" series you will need the discs, calipers, caliper mounts and backing plates, if you can get a set of rear discs up grade to them if not get the self adjusting "l" series drum brakes.

As well a liberty or "l" series master cylinder can be installed as well with a few small modifications. (not sure about the booster)

TOONGAQ
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Don't forget the braided brake lines!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm

and the 12 degrees the L Series front knuckle is out compared to the MY front knuckle ...that'll make for some fun alignment and tyre wear I bet. TOONGA... whachadoin' to this fella !!

L Series booster is too big for MY Brumby.

Do some research in here. Surely a basic renew of fluid, hoses, machine of drums, new shoes and wheel cylinders and some performance metal brake pads will bring it all back to spec and be an improvement on what you got - says the fella with disc bum Brum with Lucas pads in the back, cheap arse ones in the front and yet to really have to mash them to stop to the max , nearly though and it pulls up something awesome :)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Dont need the "L" knuckle just the backing plates, caliper mounts and calipers

Ask RSR555 for more information :)

TOONGA

Bantum
General Member

Simon ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:36 am

I was looking at this too ... !

As there is no Actual place for it currently, we might need to make a new category, or add to : Tyres, Wheels & Brakes ... :)

Speaking of upgrades , I found this :

The complete kit contains the following parts:

- 2 brake discs with adapters,
- 2 brake calipers,
- 2 mounting brackets for the calipers,
- 2 aluminium plates for the calipers,
- 2 brake hoses,
- 1 set of brake pads,
- small mounting parts and screws

Doesn't say it's 4x140 PCD, but it would seem to fit being French ... :rolleyes:

More details here : A110 Big Brake

Anybody heard of them ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:50 am

What makes you think that kit would even come close fitting a Brumby?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:23 am

TOONGA wrote:
Upgrade your front brakes to "L" series you will need the discs, calipers, caliper mounts and backing plates,

TOONGAQ
backing plates on front brakes ?? My screen is p[laying tricks on me ... front calipers need to bolt to something better than that !

- like a knuckle that bolts between the bottom of the macpherson strut and ball joint

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:29 am

Is Jules trying to say he and Paul know of an adaptor for L front caliper to bolt to an MY front knuckle to be able to use L disc set up consisting of caliper, disc, hub, CV outer etc ?

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks guys & as per Bantums recommendation, maybe we should add "Brakes" that way we will know where to post

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:09 pm

steptoe wrote:Is Jules trying to say he and Paul know of an adaptor for L front caliper to bolt to an MY front knuckle to be able to use L disc set up consisting of caliper, disc, hub, CV outer etc ?
Paul had done the exchange to a members brumby

He took the parts front and back from a turbo model vortex or "L" and bolted them to the brumby. As I understand it the parts bolted to the hub without modification.

he would be the one to chime in on this post

TOONGA

with out the "Q" you made me look, nice editing there

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 pm

I can confirm that I have made the L.Series RX Turbo brake upgrade to many MY Series model cars over the years. The most recent one completed is Maple the beige coloured Brumby that was owned by Jay Jay. I shall refer this post to Maple as she had the complete RX Turbo conversion. There is no modification to any of the parts and there is no change to the alignment of the wheels as we are not touching the steering, nor the bearing hubs.

Parts required are...

Front end:
2x Front brake rotors (complete with drive hubs) and LH & RH Front brake calipers (complete with mounting brackets).

Rear end:
2x Rear brake rotors (complete with drive hubs), LH & RH Rear brake calipers (complete with mounting brackets), LH & RH Backing plates (including bolts & nuts) and LH & RH Brake flexible brake lines.

The fronts are a straight swap, just a case of removing the complete brake caliper (which includes the caliper mounting bracket) and remove the rotor, then fit the RX Turbo rotor and fit the RX Turbo caliper. The rears are little more interesting. You need to remove the drum and all the brake shoes, then remove the backing plate (at this point you can throw all these MY parts in the bin), then you'll need to fit the RX Turbo rear backing plates, then the rotors and calipers, then change out the brake lines and once all fitted up, you'll need to give the system a good bleed. I find a good time to replace your fluid.

I could go in to a lot more details/procedure about the swap but it's really a straight forward swap that you'll be able to work it out just by looking at the parts.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Bantum
General Member

Query ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Gannon wrote: ... What makes you think that kit would even come close fitting a Brumby ... ?
Just that - I wonder if they would fit ( the front at least ), hence the question if anybody had tried to fit the Simon's brakes ... :rolleyes:

So the query still stands ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 am

That is odd because we have Phizinza and subybrumby tearing hair out coz they'd done just that (or previous owner had) L caliper brackets which go between ball joint and strut and house front wheel bearings and the critical angles were out for road going wheel alignment. I have put up a pic in this site of the angle differences of those bracket.
On the other hand we have Paul saying above, and nncoolg says he did same on MY and no problems and think Claudia or Bianca is same. Might have to try myself ....

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:49 am

steptoe wrote:That is odd because we have Phizinza and subybrumby tearing hair out coz they'd done just that (or previous owner had) L caliper brackets which go between ball joint and strut and house front wheel bearings and the critical angles were out for road going wheel alignment.
Ok.. I think the confusion is what you are calling the caliper bracket. The way I read the above is you are calling the caliper bracket the large piece of iron that houses the bearings and has the suspension parts joined to it? The caliper bracket is actually the part which has the slide pins on it for the caliper. Up the front, the caliper bracket actually bolts up to the to this bearing housing (Hub) and on the rear, the caliper bracket actually bolts on to the backing plate.
steptoe wrote:I have put up a pic in this site of the angle differences of those bracket.
On the other hand we have Paul saying above, and nncoolg says he did same on MY and no problems and think Claudia or Bianca is same. Might have to try myself ....
Yes, the MY and the L.Series have different front hubs, this is due to the extra wheel track of the L. I have never tried to fit the L.Series hubs onto the MY Series. I'm sure it could be done but you'd need to use the lower control arm to get the alignment correct.

Now for the disclaimer... I have only ever used RX Turbo parts to do this and never tried Vortex parts but cannot see any reason why the Vortex parts wouldn't work, as these are essentially an L.Series with a different body.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

O..K.... >>> ??? I coulda swore the ears with holes that the calipers bolt to was integrally cast on L's and MY with the front wheel bearing hub.

One thing I am sure we will both agree on is the bolt pattern (centre to centre) of the MY front brake caliper is less than that of the L

...this a WA joke on the east coast ?? :(

this is starting to make me think of the cartoon of a blind bloke in bed with a sighted woman, with his assistance pooch helping with cough, directions .....

going back to read Pauls instructions..

Gees, Paul, care to do a step by step write up ? Pics, a lot of pics !!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Dawning on me now, and thinking the calipers I have pulled off are always dirty and are at the two 17mm head bolts ...maybe the caliper breaks down a bit further under the crud and use an MY caliper mounting bracket I never knew existed.

Think I am going out to shed to get hands dirty .....

EDIT : Where did I get the idea of swapping calipers onto existing MY anchor brackets?. Paul no said that, he said complete front calipers and their anchor brackets.

L Series front calipers are a beefed up version when it comes to the bolt up sizes. Stuff still ain't interchangeable :(

This is exactly what I have tried to do with non L Series RX calipers with anchor brackets!

The anchor bracket to hub assembly bolts on MY are ~102mm from centre to centre.

All the L Series stuff - exhibit A is 10/85 GLTA , exhibit B is 11/86 Touring Wagon, exhibit C 3/87 turbo Vortex FWD

the anchor bracket bolts are ~123mm centre to centre.

What we need now is an L RX owner to get under and measure !!

both MY and L series front caliper pistons measure ~53.85mm

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:44 pm

steptoe wrote: care to do a step by step write up ? Pics, a lot of pics !!
If some one cares to donate a working set of "L" front parts (rear is done already)I will do the picture walkthorugh with my brumby being the recipient :)

And no Im not taking the front brakes off my vortex to do it.

TOONGA

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:44 am

Just thinking... I once wanted L front brakes in order to satisfy conversion of EA81 to EA82T imagined requiremnts, would also be good brag stuff for a signature line, bigger pads makes sense, but having tried my current MY front and L rear disc - couldn't ask for better ! Besides, i still have new front discs and pads to use up somewhere :) Bought on impulse :)

If all the above turns out I have not looked hard enough, Phiz and Trev gonna be a little miffed too !

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Excuse my ignorance but what's better about the L series front disc conversion? Bigger discs? I only have MY parts lying around so I can't compare :rolleyes: And Paul keeps mentioning L series RX turbo onto MY, are the RX turbo front discs different again to normal L series fronts?

Looks like I'll have to go further into this conversion since I'm planning on L series self adjuster rear drums on my wagon, but someone please tell me the MY and L series use the same banjo bolts for the brake lines :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Tech Manual”