Converting Power Windows to Brumby

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
Matt
General Member

Converting Power Windows to Brumby

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:47 pm

They need to be modified slightly, if you are using wagon ones. Tools required, drill and bits, welder grinder and sockets, spanners, etc. This easiest way to explain it is with a picture and a few words...
In the pic below you will see the rack piece which is driven by the motor. The spot welds on this need to be drilled out and the rack broken off the arm. Then the rack needs to be welded or tacked into the position shown in the picture, ensuring the motor runs freely through the range of movement. Adjust as necessary to allow a nice constant movement.
Now take the window holder piece shown on the left of the picture and replace with brumby 1. The piece bolts across the window at the bottom with 2 10mm bolts. (Bend the taps to get the roller out) Remove winders and associated parts and bolt the power windows rougly in place.
There is a slider thats bolts to the inside of the door that needs to be moved about 10mm towards the front of the car. Just drill a elongated hole about this position and adjust the window.

Note one drilled out hole should line up with the other one, also roughly parrellel to the ware marks on the rack piece

Above brumby runner on, wagon one below off

Above the black marks are where the slotted holes should be.

Above is a rough switch wiring diagram for the switches.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Hey Matt,
Interesting the way we've done the same thing differently in small ways. I should have checked out this section of the forum before doing my doors and write up.

Here's my Brumby Electric Window Install thread, pretty much the same though.

Well done, still wish I had of read this first.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Thanks Mate, i did a couple, so i got pretty knowledgable.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Return to “Tech Manual”