1993 L Series leaking heater core

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
eaglebrad

1993 L Series leaking heater core

Post by eaglebrad » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:23 pm

:( Would really appreciate some guidance on locating a service manual for a 1993 L series 4 x 4. The heater core has decided to spring a leak and I would like to know the procedure for removing it.

Anyone had any experience removing the heater core. Have done it on other vehicles with varying degrees of pain. (On my nissan pulsar I had to remove the dash). Hopefully the suby is not as difficult.

Thanks guys.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:28 pm

search the forums mate.

i seem to remember "El Freddo" posted a small stepbystep once upon a time.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

eaglebrad

Post by eaglebrad » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:36 pm

Thankyou very much. I did a search for posts by El_Freddo and found it. Doesn't look too bad.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:48 pm

no worries mate....but thank El_Freddo to :)

also service manuals like Haynes and Gregory's can be bought from most automotive stores.

but a Subaru Workshop Manual...well im not sure if one can be got or not
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:46 am

Also be aware that you can quite easily bypass the heater core. Takes a couple of minutes and will enable you to continue driving the car for as long as you want - no leaks but no working heater until u replace it :)

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:04 pm

im in the same boat. ive been driving around with it bypassed through the summer months but i think the time is looming up to change it. would you mind passing on the link incase theres something extra i havent thought about in the job.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Hey, Just dropped in on this thread.

Here's the thread you're after about the dash removal.

Enjoy.

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

marcosell

Post by marcosell » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:59 pm

AndrewT wrote:Also be aware that you can quite easily bypass the heater core. Takes a couple of minutes and will enable you to continue driving the car for as long as you want - no leaks but no working heater until u replace it :)
I would sure appreciate some instructions on how to bypass the heater core as I would love to save myself another trip to the mechanics. Just had the water pump done in my 94 L Series Sports Wagon , now the heater is leaking on the passenger floor. Cant do the job right now so Im looking for a quick fix. Thanks would appreciate it. Also, for when I do pull the dash out to fix the problem, do I have to buy a whole new heater core or can I have the one thats in there reconditioned?

GOD

Post by GOD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:50 am

marcosell wrote:I would sure appreciate some instructions on how to bypass the heater core as I would love to save myself another trip to the mechanics. Just had the water pump done in my 94 L Series Sports Wagon , now the heater is leaking on the passenger floor. Cant do the job right now so Im looking for a quick fix. Thanks would appreciate it. Also, for when I do pull the dash out to fix the problem, do I have to buy a whole new heater core or can I have the one thats in there reconditioned?
Remove the spare wheel and you'll see two 3/4" hoses running from the top of the engine into the firewall. These go to the heater core. Disconnect them from the engine and use a short length of hose (but not so short that it kinks) to join the two pipes coming off the top of the engine, and bingo, heater core is bypassed. Might be an idea to plug (or join with hose) the two holes in the firewall too.

*I've only owned an L for a week, so no reponsibility taken if I'm wrong :p.

esray71

Post by esray71 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:47 pm

i went to supercheap for a hose already had a bend in it, i just cut it to the length needed. It's been 6 weeks and bloody cold in the morning!!!

Subaru 89

Post by Subaru 89 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 am

yea mine blew a few months ago, i had to undo all the dash bolts, undo all these clamps in funny places and undo most of the electrics. I managed to do it withought getting the whole thing out but a bit of force was needed to get the air box out and in again cos its a tight spot

Return to “Tech Manual”