Outback lift questions

robdddd

Outback lift questions

Post by robdddd » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi,

I Finally found the time to install the 50mm lift (HiRise kit bought almost a year ago) and King springs into my 2001 H6 outback (auto) and have a couple of minor issues, suggestions would be great:

1. What happens with the engine stay rod? The kit is all installed and I havn't done anything to the stay rod, is this a problem, it appears to be carrying a bit of load now and transfers some vibration to the car on initial startup. I am considering unbolting it to see what happens.

2. First test run down my street 50m and the "ABS" and "VDC" lights came on. Would the VDC light come on if an ABS sensor or wiring was the issue? Worried I may have damaged something when I forgot to disconnect the ABS wiring on the rear and it became tight before I realised, I thought it wasn't too tight though and I had got away with it.

3. The auto selector still aligns with the D, N etc inside the car, is it likely any adjustment will be required under on the selecting cable?

Anything else I should look out for?

thanks

rob

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:23 pm

i had the same prob with the abs light when lifting the OB.Down the back near the fuel tank is a plug in the loom for the abs.Mine had come out breaking the circuit as it was tight on the wires after the lift.All i did was unclip it from the holder and plug it back in.The engine stay rod i cut down and rewelded a l series to make it the right length and have had no problems.Is yours the standard one or a modified one?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

robdddd

Post by robdddd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks for the response.

The stay rod is the standard one. I just went and checked under the bonnet, it is not too easy to see as it is hiding under the intake, but i swear it feels like it is plastic? I assume this is why you used a modified L series one?

My first thought is to modify the bracket that mounts on the motor or drill a new hole in the mounting on the firewall as from a quick calculation it only needs to be 20-25mm longer?

also now considering tyre options, I know people run 215/70/16's and I think Outbackbloke has 225/70/16 on the newer Outback? My wife's unlifted forry runs 235/60/16 which are not as big however i like the width....just waiting for a chance when she is out without the car to swap the wheels over for a look.

rob

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:28 pm

robdddd wrote:My wife's unlifted forry runs 235/60/16 which are not as big however i like the width....just waiting for a chance when she is out without the car to swap the wheels over for a look.
Remember to take photos
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30 pm

it is plastic. get an old steel lib / L one and extend it to the correct length
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”