Recommended Shocks for 96Lib Wagon

jamesd

Recommended Shocks for 96Lib Wagon

Post by jamesd » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi There,

I'm a newbie looking for some advice on the best shocks for my 96 liberty wagon. It has just over 200ks. I'm also interested in stiffening up the back end slightly, can the sway bar / anti-roll bar be replaced with something from another suby to that effect?

Cheers,

James

H-top

Post by H-top » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 pm

What are u aiming to get out of it and what do
you use it for?

Cheers
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

jamesd

Post by jamesd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:13 am

It's my daily drive - I live in Sydney and don't get off the beaten track often. I sometimes have 100-200kg payload in the back for work, but mainly I want to improve the handling, whilst not diminishing ground clearance.

The current shocks are pretty worn, and it's possible this car was a delivery vehicle early in it's life - the hazard lights button is quite worn. It's been with me for about 10 000ks.

H-top

Post by H-top » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Do you want something adjustable or fixed?
Firm or lush ride? And cost?
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:25 pm

replace the suspension, maybe get a standard height heavy duty style of spring (kings or the like) and beaf up the sway bars. Aftermarket types are readily available and fairly cheap.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

jamesd

Post by jamesd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Fixed is fine. I'm looking for better handling rather than plush ride, and working on the theory that stiffening up the back will lead to more grip at the front. Wondering - are there GTB sway bars or other stiffer items similar that can be fitted without mods?

I'm looking for a medium price option - there's no point in paying somebody to fit dud products, but the car has 200ks on it and I can't see it being with me for more than another 2yrs.

James

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:12 pm

i have a full set of front and rear PEDDERS springs and struts to siut a 90mod liberty wagon (are they the same)? for sale second hand ,little use asking $250 for the lot ,,,im in newcastle area if interested ...khanacross

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Get Monroe GT Gas, they handle well in Gen 2 liberty. I have Monroe Comfort Gas in mine and I hate them compared to GT Gas, I think they're just too soft.

There are other brands such as Pedders, KYB etc Subaru factory struts are KYB in Gen 2 Liberty.
Rear Sway is 16mm, I have Outback 19mm sway in mine, you can buy stiffer sway such as 20-22mm whitelines etc, but if i were ya, get the struts first give it a go, if you feel it needs to be stiffen up in rear, then get a thicker sway bar.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

jamesd

Post by jamesd » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:Get Monroe GT Gas, they handle well in Gen 2 liberty. I have Monroe Comfort Gas in mine and I hate them compared to GT Gas, I think they're just too soft.

There are other brands such as Pedders, KYB etc Subaru factory struts are KYB in Gen 2 Liberty.
Rear Sway is 16mm, I have Outback 19mm sway in mine, you can buy stiffer sway such as 20-22mm whitelines etc, but if i were ya, get the struts first give it a go, if you feel it needs to be stiffen up in rear, then get a thicker sway bar.
Cheers
AP
Thanks for all the tips.

As I won't be doing the work myself (lack of time/tools/expertise) I was thinking it might be cheaper to get it all done at once, but also as I'm on a budget I was hoping to get a second hand bar.

Will the Outback bar fit straight into the Lib height rear?

Also: I found this thread where discopotato03 disses the monroe's:
showthread.php?t=13289
- is this just a matter of taste? AR do you like a plush ride? I'm most interested in reducing understeer the wallowy feel at the back when there's a bit of weight in wagon.

I figure the springs are pretty worn so replacing them should help, and I hate dead shocks. So right now I'm thinking:
KYB shocks, Pedders or Kings springs pending quotes, and looking for a stiffer second hand sway bar.

But is it worth doing the bushes at the same time (budget?)

Cheers

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”