Lift for L Series

jims

Lift for L Series

Post by jims » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi everyone,

A question: Will I need to extend brake lines if I install a 3' strut top lift and 2' rear suspension lift on my L? No body lift.

Cheers,
James

jims

Post by jims » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Errr... Never mind the above.

Going to put the adjustable struts I got from my old (85) wagon in the good car in Hope of a lift.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:37 am

With due respect, I think you're missing the point on how a lift kit in a monocoque frame works. It's not like the larger 4WDs that have a chassis seperate to the body and their suspension bolts to the chassis. The subaru however have the suspension bolted directly to the body. So when you do a suspension lift, you are effectively doing a "body" lift.

When you lift any vehicle, you should extend the brake lines otherwise you put the flexible line under undue stress and could casue them to fail. New brake lines are cheap to have made up and is cheap insurance. They should be made up to the longest length of the lift, i.e. if you are using 2" blocks on the body and 3" on the strut tops then get your lines made up 3" longer, this will guarantee they will not be put under any stress.

As for the suspension from the Ser1 L.Series. These only raise the car about 30mm in the highest setting, so if you're looking for 3" (75mm) lift then these struts won't help you out very much.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

jims

Post by jims » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks mate. Finally understand how the lift blocks effectively lower the cv angles before you then increase them with the strut lift.

Guess there's not much point swapping the suspension over from the old car then hey.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:05 pm

You could use the old adjustable suspension with a complete 2" lift kit. This will be good for on road conditions, the when you want to go off road, you raise up the suspension. Works perfectly and when you have finished off roading, you lower them back down which will extend your CV joints life. As apposed to using 3" strut tops which shorten their life.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I wish we could do that on a Foz...get the best of both worlds :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”