heavy duty spring questions

heavy duty spring questions

Post by 00 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:05 pm

hello all

I have a 1995 legacy 2nd gen I believe, I have lifted it with kyb outback struts and springs and am running 28 inch all terrains, with no camber or caster problems and aligned within normal alignment specs, the springs are from a 97 outback so i am assuming they are old and worn out, when driving on flat land the car is fine but when im in the car by myself and going over midsize bumps the rear tires rub bad and the front tires a little bit, but when there are people in the backseat the rear tires rub really really bad even on small bumps. So I have a few questions about heavy duty springs that some of you can hopefully help me with.

1. Will standard height heavyduty springs fix this.

2. Will standard height heavyduty springs lift my car even more and if it does
by how much will it, before and after the suspension has settled. The
reason I ask is, I thought that I read something from someone on a board
awhile ago saying even the standard height HD springs lifted their subaru
some, just not as much as the raised HD springs

3. if I get the raised HD springs how much will it lift my car before and after
the suspension has settled, will there be any problems with castor or
camber and will it be able to be aligned within normal specs, will i need a
steering extention or extended other parts and can my axles and
cv's take the added stress, or with the extra height from the raised HD
springs make the cv's pop out on full extention, or just pop out anyways,
or break more easily, because I dont have a lift kit just the outback strut
and spring swap the axles are operating at higher angles already. Also will
the struts top out way to easily with the raised springs

The HD springs I am looking at are Pedders because they are more easily available here in the usa and much cheaper then Kings, so if anybody uses the pedders HD springs on the newer gen subarus your opinions and reviews would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

00outback

Post by 00outback » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Install a lift kit, raised springs will only cause you trouble with your cv's. The lift kit will keep everything at a natural angle.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:57 pm

You need to fit a pair of Outback rear trailing arm brackets they have enought drop to push your back wheels rearwards to eliminate some of the rubbing. But for 28in tyres on a non lifted car they will rub
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Post by 00 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:55 am

The tires don't rub on the front of the rear fender when the shock compresses, they rub on the back of the rear fender wear the mud flap would be. On the legacy body styles because the shocks aren't mounted straight up and down they are kinda designed with the top farther back then the bottom, its angled, so when the shock compreses it moves the tire up and backwards, thats why I was thinking a heavy duty standard length spring would stop this because the suspension wouldn't compress as easily, I dont think i need any more lift just maybe stiffer heavy duty springs because the top of the tires don't really rub on the top of the fenders unless the shocks are really really compressed. So if anybody has these springs and could tell me how much harder it is to make them compress then stock springs that would be helpful, and I would also like to know if the standard height heavy duty springs would raise it any compared to stock becuase I thought I heard that somewhere. Also are King Springs better then pedder springs.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:01 pm

standard height king springs will raise the car enough to get you out of trouble. it sounds to me like your old springs are quite sagged.

i can get you the kings part numbers when i get home. they can be found cheap if you shop around. (around $200/set)

another good option would be a 2" body lift.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:04 pm

this:

showthread.php?t=6739

is a 2" body lift, 97 outback KYB struts and 97 outback king springs standard height.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Post by 00 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks for all the replies it looks like I'm gonna probably go with heavy duty standard height springs, it seems like most of you on the forums use king springs compared to pedders, is there any particular reason most of you use the kings instead of pedders, because pedders has some dealers in the usa so I can get them probably around $100 or $200 cheaper over all, are the pedders heavy duty standard height springs not as stiff so they compress easier or are they not as tall as the standard height heavy duty kings. Or are kings cheaper over in Australia

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”