Lifting an 05 outback

cool banana

Lifting an 05 outback

Post by cool banana » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:32 am

Hi,
As a new member to the forum, I'd like to bust my forum cherry by posting a question regarding ausubaru lift kits.
The photo of the blue, lifted current model outback on this forum shows that it has been fitted with both new springs (yellow in colour) as well as a lift kit.
Is it recommended to fit new springs after lifting car? Does the ride using the old springs suffer, requiring new springs to keep the handling acceptable?
I'm planning on lifting my well used 05 outback this summer..........
thanks in advance
cheers
Martin

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:48 pm

No need to fit new springs when lifting. I put lifted springs in when I did the kit as that is the best time to do it if you are going to. The struts have to come out to fit the kit and it only takes an extra half hour or so to fit the springs at the same time.

Springs cost around $300 for a full set, so the extra expense isn't too bad. If your car has over 100,000k's on it, it probably would benefit from a new set any way.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:48 pm

By the way, welcome to the forums.

cool banana

Post by cool banana » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks BYB-01 !
any idea what heightthe blue outback is in the piccie. It looks more than 3"?
I'm trying to gauge wether 2 of 3" of lift is adequate for me....
Despite my car being 2 years old, I've only done 25k......so the springs should last a long while yet. Your point about replacing the springs while lifting it is a good point though.
Did you go for stiffer springs?? I'm thinking that lifting it, increases the centre of gravity, and therefor might increase the amount of roll, therefore putting stiffer stprings in might be beneficial...
cheers muchly

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:54 pm

It is a 2" lift with raised springs. I think it is about an inch in the springs. height to the underside of the front guard is about 840mm. If you measure yours it will give you an idea of how much a body lift, spring lift and tyres make.

I think it was around 720 or 740 before we started.

If you just go a 2" body lift then the COG change won't be noticeable. They have pretty big sway bars on them. We can still take corners at a fun speed as it is now.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:16 pm

Is there a maximum though, that standard springs/shocks can take?
I'm thinking about a 3" lift but would still like to know how far you can push the factory gear to know how safe I'd be.

^re gen1 lib wagoon about to git 300ks (<if there is a difference)

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:04 am

With regard to insurance and rego, I believe you can go a maximum of 2" body lift and 2" spring lift (ie: total of 4") without needing an engineer's certificate.

King Springs only offer around a 30mm lift on their raised springs for Outbacks as any more adversely affects the CV angles. This was the rationale as stated to me by a King Springs technical adviser when I enquired about lifting my Outback.

If you're looking at lifting a gen I Liberty, I suggest you have a chat to subi wan kenobi as his lifted gen I wagon looks awesome.

Jack
1999 Outback (some mods)
1989 Brumby (more mods)

Subaru - Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive

tasscube

Post by tasscube » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:24 pm

Hi all, I have a 2000 forrester which I fitted with pedders coils a couple of years ago as the back end was seriously sagged out at 40k (due I think to the previous owner towing a heavy trailer ?) the so called self levelling suspension just did not appear to do anything even though the sube mechanic told me it took some time (hours to a day ?). The pedders coils came in low, standard or raised. The suspension guy said to opt for the standard as the coil beds on the struts are soft on the new subes and could fold given too much of a thump. Even still the new standard coils are 1mm thicker in diameter and lifted the back end well over 30mm and the front end about 20mm even with the subaxtreme bullbar. 2 years on I'm happy with them and intend to get the 2 inch lift asap. The struts will be replaced eventually with the stronger pedder struts. Will try post a pic soon.

subanator

Post by subanator » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:45 pm

I believe King Springs offer something similar, but as I read somewhere, the Heavy Duty ones are standard height, but dont compress under the vehicle weight as much and lift by 30mm anyway, but will be a stiffer ride due to spring rate. I will be doing this to my Foss as it will get a bit of towing and a Suba-Extreme bar as well along the way.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

MINIMOKE

Post by MINIMOKE » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:05 am

Hi, I'm a newbie and rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd hijack this one with a related question.

I have just bought a 06 Outback, it’s a basic model without the self-levelling suspension. I have just done my first camping trip and have realised how good the self-levelling suspension on my previous Outback (01 Limited Edition) was.

My question is related to the Subaru self-levelling suspension option. I believe that it just consists of "special" shockies. Do I have to buy these from Subaru, or do Pedders etc. do a similar type.

I don't really want to raise the car (it's fine when not fully loaded), I just want to maintain this ride height when I have the camping gear in the back, or when towing.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Dave

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Bumpty wrote:Is there a maximum though, that standard springs/shocks can take?
I'm thinking about a 3" lift but would still like to know how far you can push the factory gear to know how safe I'd be.

^re gen1 lib wagoon about to git 300ks (<if there is a difference)

When you say 3" lift are you talking body lift, spring lift or a combination of both? The body lifts don't alter the geometry of the drive-train at all, spring lifts do, the consensus seems to be that around 25 - 30mm is about the durable limit to spring lift.
SUBYDAZZ

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 pm

MINIMOKE as far as i know the only replacment for the self levelling is Subaru only
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:07 am

As CSM101 said, Subaru only. But and it is a good but, Sunspares Subaru at Yandina have pulled a few wrecked Outbacks apart with the self leveling suspension. Pretty good chance of getting s set from them.

I do think however it is more than just the struts you need. Pretty sure there is wiring and a computer involved. Ask them when you ring for a price on the struts.

email parts<AT>sunspares.com.au or call 0754727222 and tell them the backyard boys sent you.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:26 am

MINIMOKE wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie and rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd hijack this one with a related question.

I have just bought a 06 Outback, it’s a basic model without the self-levelling suspension. I have just done my first camping trip and have realised how good the self-levelling suspension on my previous Outback (01 Limited Edition) was.

My question is related to the Subaru self-levelling suspension option. I believe that it just consists of "special" shockies. Do I have to buy these from Subaru, or do Pedders etc. do a similar type.

I don't really want to raise the car (it's fine when not fully loaded), I just want to maintain this ride height when I have the camping gear in the back, or when towing.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Dave
I think you're better off asking Subaru (and lastly suspensions experts) about that above and do research from there.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:07 am

I wouldn't go directly to Subaru. You would end up going in to the service/parts department and then talking to a bloke that has a computer program in front of him where he can search for the parts. That he will gladly do if he knows you. If not you need a chassis number so they can type it in and tell you what bits you need.

Now having a chassis number that does not have SL Suspension will be no good to you. Already you are behind the eight ball. If the bloke does decide he has got a spare hour to track all the parts you need they would then have to price it all up for you. At a rough guess you are going to be some where around $3000 if not more buying it all in parts.

The SL suspension is great for maintaining ride height when loaded as MINIMOKE has already said. From what I have been told it can create difficulties when offroading though. Apparently it senses g force or lateral load some how when cornering and levels the suspension to suit. Great for on road but it also does it when offroad and 4wding. Sounds good in theory but apparently when the lateral load is too great it applies the brakes (so I have been told by a bloke with one) to slow the car down. Excellent idea if you are cornering too fast. Bad idea if you are 4wding.

This car was fitted with a lift kit as well. Whether or not that had any thing to do with the way the SLS was working I don't know. I do know he changed to standard struts to get away from it.

My advice would be to buy some new springs in a heavier grade and put them in. If you don't like it you are only out of pocket $150.

There is also after market air bags you can get to assist in this sort of thing. Talk to Lightning Silver RX about it. He can point you in the right direction of where to buy it and what it is like.

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:00 pm

OE early Liberty air suspension is self-levelling :)
SUBYDAZZ

Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Self-levelling dampers on '06 UK Outback are self-energising, not compressor-driven. They use road movement to constantly top up the pneumatic chamber which bleeds air out when it's above it's datum height. It's simpler/cheaper than electric compressor but means that the rear ride height can only be increased by adding a spacer between the damper and the body mounting.

UK Outbacks are all sourced from Japan, official and unofficial imports, rather than the USA so should be similar to Outbacks in Australia.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”