@*&%@! peanut brained RTA mechanic !!

steptoe
Master Member

@*&%@! peanut brained RTA mechanic !!

Post by steptoe » Tue May 13, 2008 11:37 pm

Shoot , what a day. The day was really screwed up by the peanut named (better not) who did my roadworthy on the 92 Brumby. Everything had to pass - bog stock standard with a rebuilt motor in it, new CV shafts, ball joints, clean as and good rego tyres.

The peanuts hired dipstick excrement-for-brains sidekick drew the peanuts attention to the bump stops on the rear, or more there clearance - about 18mm.

Gees, mate you are gonna have to raise this to get the clearance to 100mm between the bump stops and the control arm. It is an Australia wide standard. All cars have gotta have 100mm bump stop clearance.

Nah, this is normal Brumby height and stance I say

And you will have to raise the front to get it all level

I pay me 50 bucks and go on me way, absolutely puzzled. I dig out the RTA specs on the brumby and fug me rear suspension data ! The stops are 75mm and clearance is 20mm. I ring tech standards who tell me to take it to the peanut to get him to pass it.

NUH, NO WAY. IT is 100mm he claimed. If you don't like it, take it over the pits at the RTA (two week wait!) I ring RTA to ask just what is in their records that peanut is using - they could not say, could not find the spec sheet I had and had no more time for me. So... I went higher ... to the auditors..who after talking to peanut claimed peanut was sticking to his decision and i had to raise it to 100mm clearance. Now there is more than one or two peanuts in this story. Thick about it head honcho 100mm bump stop clearance - an Australian standard ...PIGSARSE

It was suggested I could try another dude and pay another 50 bucks so I did. This sensible dude saw my reasoning and passed with flying colours.

In all fairness the senior auditor agreed to view the vehicle and my spec sheet tomorrow - but that was gonna be too late.

Car is now registered so I may just take head auditor up on his offer later, at my leisure and have him audit the intelligence of the peanut and side kick

SPIT complete

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue May 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Its just a conspiracy to get old cars off the road. Testers get big fines, loss of testing license etc if they get caught leaving something out. So the government has just made it in the testers own interest to be absolute a-holes.

I mean how many people on our roads have died because of having FACTORY spec suspension? It doesn't even make sense, because vehicles need to be constructed to a certain standard in the first place.

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Wed May 14, 2008 8:11 am

You sure he wasn't just giving you the all clear for a lift kit?

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Wed May 14, 2008 10:45 am

bobbyjimmy wrote:You sure he wasn't just giving you the all clear for a lift kit?
hahah thats sorta what i was thinking.

but yeah they can be assholes, like the peanut who said i couldnt have any whoosh noises when changing gears- this is actually what he wrote down. ffs its a turbo car!

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed May 14, 2008 10:54 am

Yeah it's always a gamble hey. The rules are a joke, it's basically just left up to who you get and what mood they are in.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 am

100mm clearance from the lowest part of the vehicle I've heard but not bump stops.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Wed May 14, 2008 11:24 am

I Think You Guys Are Being A Little Harsh On Peanuts
But I Have To Agree With The Rest Of Whats Been Said :-)
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Wed May 14, 2008 11:51 am

Lightning_Silver_RX wrote:100mm clearance from the lowest part of the vehicle I've heard but not bump stops.
Ive heard of that one too, also referred to as the coke can test because there roughly 100mm.

SubaRute

Post by SubaRute » Wed May 14, 2008 12:21 pm

well in what state is the peanut and his family?i dont want to get caught up with them if i need something passed,and what a load of bull%^$& having 100mm at the bump stops,yes the coke can or milo tin rolled under a lowered vehicle should give you some indercation if the vehicle is too low.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed May 14, 2008 2:52 pm

do they have a height limit?? :)

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

dirty skirt

Post by dirty skirt » Wed May 14, 2008 4:51 pm

hey guys not all inspectors are like, im sure as hell im not he must have been in a crappy mood or something

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Wed May 14, 2008 5:40 pm

I went to an inspection station some years ago and got canned over a frayed seat belt. What the stuff can I do about that? The inspector brought out his cigarette lighter and ran the flame along the seat belt burning off the hairs etc. "There you go" he said. All fixed and passed the vehicle.

Talk about dodgy...

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed May 14, 2008 6:06 pm

subybrumby wrote:I went to an inspection station some years ago and got canned over a frayed seat belt. What the stuff can I do about that? The inspector brought out his cigarette lighter and ran the flame along the seat belt burning off the hairs etc. "There you go" he said. All fixed and passed the vehicle.

Talk about dodgy...

That exact same thing happened to me last rego!

100mm for the bump stop,... i doubt it.

What about factory sports cars that have less that 100mm of suspension travel. I know there are cars out there that have less that 50mm of travel.

He was either being hard to get along with, or he has his information mixed up.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 14, 2008 8:06 pm

Must be the week for rego'n brumby's. Sunnie (formally known as "bluey) will be rego'd on friday :D

Already gone through the RWC crap, I hate it when some Mechanic has a particular pet hate or is overly picky.

Hope you enjoy your brumby.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Wed May 14, 2008 9:31 pm

I've had an RWC licence for about 12 years.
Peanut alright, obviously all cars are different, it depends where the bumpstop is in relation to wheel travel.
100mm at the rear bump stop would have the rear tyre completely out of the guard, doesn't know his cars very well.
He must be failing everything he sees.
Regards

Gary ;)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 14, 2008 11:41 pm

This guy is a peanut, and a cranky one at that, goes red in the face real quick.

The issue is that he would not show me his spec sheet cause he couldn't and he can't use his computer. He wouldn't take into account of what I had and even think what the beast would look like at another 80mm height. He has a reputation.

What is even worse is the fact that the tech standards and auditors could not put their fingers on the data either, and they respect the old fart coz he's been around for thirty years. I know him and he never remembers me ! The Australian compliance specs are clearly stated at 20mm clearance, and the allowance is 1/3 reduction in that height allowed. My torsion set up has sagged only 2 or 3 mm in nearly 400,000km, and yes PEANUT has got it wrong - it is 100mm ground clearance.

It ain't a plot against old cars

I have sent countless people to him over the years for their rego checks - and he's sent many to my mates workshop for blue slips, and in doing so we have worked out he does not want to do the hard stuff (red tape wise and can't) and somehow not quite grasped the concept of what is what and we have just gone ahead and issued pinkies coz that is all that was required. I got two new guys to use in future. Couldn't do it meself coz it is a cross border thing and the ute is in my old mans name until it is paid for.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu May 15, 2008 7:19 am

I hate it when they think its out of spec or they think its not right and cannot be bothered checking out the specs or learn as their brains are full of sh*t, happened to me a few times re-registering old cars - always comes into problems that is a big deal - just that they dont want to bother passing RWC - the truth is, they don't want to get into trouble from RTA if teeny little thing goes wrong then they get the kick. That is why.... Newer cars will pass in flying colours. That the way it is.
Cheers
Tristan
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”