Brumby strut tops

Prunes

Brumby strut tops

Post by Prunes » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:12 am

I've got a crossbred kit and some JDM struts and I have assembled them as I can figure out from the instructions, which leaves me with a couple of questions.

1. Am i supposed to replace the standard brumby washer with that pack of 3 or are they supposed to all be in there (4 washers) as i have found the top rubs on the upper spring seat with 3 and with 4 washers there is a rather large gap for dirt and dust to get in?

2. The brumby tops have no berrings, is there a replacement with berrings or are they really not needed?

3. Has anyone got any real information on modifying the chassis for the 3 bolt strut tops? from my research people seem to think its not a good idea.

Thanks, Prunes
2002 Impreza GX Hatch: Dents, Scratches, Missing inside wheel arch, Barely attached front bumper.
1983 Brumby: Currently being rebuilt.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:50 am

have you talked to Jeff about it?
he has great after sales service.

tex

Post by tex » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:56 pm

I think I may have taken a photo when I did mine if you PM me your Email address I'll try and dig it out for you,
I seem to recall Emailing jeff about making this part of the instructions a little clearer!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:06 pm

hmmmm,

mate i had exactly the same problem. I found theinstructions hard to follow (for a dummy).

And yeah i have photos (plus an almost 80% complete fit guide) if you want to email me at m.mclennan@tsc.nsw.edu.au

but the three washers go in place of the imprzza round washer so you have imp strut and spring with 3 washers with lube on the then the MY strut top.

make any sense?

by the way you are going to need to bash the strut tunnel to get them to fit properly!
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

tex

Post by tex » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:01 am

SUBIIE wrote:by the way you are going to need to bash the strut tunnel to get them to fit properly!
Makes me feel better knowing I wasn't the only one to massage these into place, I was almost going to go coil overs instead!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”