Lowering brumby?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:24 pm

Crossbred kit or other ?

How'd you go with bump stop clearance at the rear , or is it just the big rims make it look lower ?

Makes my Brumby look a bit plain jane, they do look smarter with a standard front bumper ....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:18 pm

That looks like Bratgeebah's old Ej25 brumby, I believe it still sports the original crossbred kit...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

chridk

Post by chridk » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:30 pm

No its not Bratgeebah's car, but yes it is a crossbred kit. I think I may have been one of the first of the public to buy from Gareth though.
I fitted the kit in 2006 and I have coilovers up front and the rear is needing shorter shocks because they're bottomed out.
I like the firm ride though.

chridk

Post by chridk » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Oh and steptoe, I removed the bumpstop landing on the trailing arm although I drove it for 5 years resting on the bumpstop.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:54 pm

:D

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:06 pm

I have lowered a my old 84 wagon my nephews 83 touring wagon and the rear of my brumby ( in my av picture), that one was to get it to sit level i hate the high ass look of the stock brumby's.

My 84 wagon was a necessity as i was running a group A spec ea82t engine and the thing was out of control standard hight.

The front i just did the DYI thing and cut the springs, been moding heaps of cars and know how much to chop,also this was in 94 and no one was playing with these cars then so aftermarket didn't exist, the best thing about the front in you can still wind it up if it's too low which is sweet..

The back is pretty easy and only takes about an hour tops.

You just have to unbolt the small retailing bolt just where the end of the torsion bar goes into the crossmember and the 3 bolds holding the rear arm onto the hub, slide the torsion bar out about 40mm rotate it one tooth only and slide it back in, (you can find the teeth by pushing the torsion bar back it as you turn it, you will feel it grab the teeth).

Put the bolts back in, make sure you measure before and after so the other side is the same

You just do one side at a time so the whole rear suspension dont fall out.

1 tooth lowers the rear about 2 inches i think it is..

You will have to unbolt the rear crossmember mounts so it drops down to allow the torsion bar to slide out..

The bump stop will have to be cut off, i left about 10mm on there to stop the metal on metal bottom out, another tip is to wind the heigh adjuster up just a little to load the torsion bar up, it will make it firmer and stop it bottoming out on every little bump.

I used standard hight kyb shock and the were fine..

These things handle about 200 times better at this hight and with a quick engine are a sh#t load of fun to drive..

I cant remember the measurements, and my brumby has 16's on it with big tyres so thats not a good guide but the rear tyres should end up level or just inside the rear guards..

Have fun they look sick..

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Pardon my lack of knowledge but

Is there any possibility to fit pump up airbags and get the best of both worlds?

Lowered for the road, raised for the rough stuff? on board compressor/tank switch on dash. like show cars have.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”