brumby lift

MOONEY

brumby lift

Post by MOONEY » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:18 pm

hi i am thinking of lifting my brumby i was just wondering wat is needed to do this as in do i need new shocks will i have to get a camber kit ect wat will i need also it will be a 2inch lift

MOONEY

Post by MOONEY » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:00 pm

come on evry1 on here has a lift kit someone has to be able to help me

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi,

Well it's one of the most commonly discussed topics on here, you may wish to use the search function a little. There's bucketloads of info on here.

But in answer to your question;

- You don't "need" new shocks or springs, but most people do this at the same time as the ultimate goal is to improve your offroading capabilities. You don't want crappy worn out suspension when going offroad.
- You don't need a camber kit as the strut tops in your lift kit should be offset to counteract the change in camber.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:35 pm

SUBIIE was nice enough to email me some pics

there are a few more but these are the ones showing placement of the kit

heres the thread where I asked

showthread.php?t=14273

hope that helps

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

dukbilt

Post by dukbilt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:39 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at lifting my 1988 Brumby. I'd like to know people's opinions on the various lift kits available. The kits I have found on the web so far are:

Scorpion - $795 [http://www.scorpionsubaru.com/retail.htm];

Hi-Rise Subaru - $295 [http://www.funonwheels.net/hirisesubaru ... list.htm];

SubaMods - ? [http://www.subareck.com.au/SubamodsBars.htm]

I found these sites to be of use for information regarding lifting:

http://www.subaclub.com/TechTalk/lifting.htm

http://www.scorpionsubaru.com/Raisingconcepts1.doc

Thanks,

Ewan

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:57 am

I don't think hi-rise do there kits anymore. you should try to pm Suby Wan Kenobi. He makes them. I also looking for a 2 or 3 inch kit for my mates brumby. Suby Wan Kenobi kits i think is $550 for the 2 or 3 inch kit but double check with him first. Second hand kits if you can find them go for about $250. And depending on the condition you may want to replace to new bolts that can easily be obtained at any fastener shop.
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:56 pm

as I understand it high rise don't make kits anymore but the site that hosts the page keeps the page there for business reasons

see here
showthread.php?t=14439&highlight=rise

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:18 am

IF still after a lift kit , or any one for that matter, CROSSBRED PERFORMANCE sell them. Brumby/M.Y. , L series ,Liberty etc
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:03 pm

I see Hi Rise are advertising Lift Kits for My -Leone and Forrester Subarus on the net. MY is listed as $285-00 , but made of tubular square steel. Can get Alli blocks at higher price. I just wonder how one would go if put through a Transport Dept road check with the tubular steel lift kit.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:08 pm

Gazza01 wrote:I see Hi Rise are advertising Lift Kits for My -Leone and Forrester Subarus on the net. MY is listed as $285-00 , but made of tubular square steel. Can get Alli blocks at higher price. I just wonder how one would go if put through a Transport Dept road check with the tubular steel lift kit.
Hi 3 points

1) This is a very old thread - if you read the post from 2009 two posts above yours - you will see why I don't think this business has been operational since about 2004 - which is where that price is from

2) all lifts over 2" are illegal I believe without engineering - at least thats the case hee in SA.

3) the best square tube ones, generally have additional circular crush tubes as reinforcement, as per XXXXXXX***** ones ,(which are still being sold for $400+) - these will probably get through inspection, where non- reinforced home made ones will probably get defected.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Here in NSW I found that any lift at all required Engineering and a certificate.
Worst thing was a lifted Subaru would pass a general rego check each year for road worthy rego but the Police could defect the car off the road at any time as the mods were not engineered.
I know I am a bit too cautious in general and a bit of a stick in the mud and each to their own but I chose to avoid the prospects of being defected so for both the MY and the L series (when I had it) I opted for the engineering certificate on both. Still haven't been pulled over but the day may come. As a matter of fact I wish I did get pulled over so I would have a chance to "flash" the certificate.
I would really like a 4" lift in the MY but I don't think my Engineer would be happy to provide a certificate on a block lift this high. He is concerned about sideways flex between the subframe, spacer and component. May have to look into this some time.
Also, insurance companies must be informed of any vehicle mods as they may refuse insurance payouts if a claim is made if they can prove they didn't know about the mods.
NRMA allowed the MY as it has the engineered 2" lift and 2" was their limit.
I guess that means, if I go any higher I would need to discuss with them and if no good look and someone else like Shannons maybe.
I have only ever bought and fitted alloy kits but square tube with reinforced spacers work well too and are cheaper. I know of a 2" tube kit that was put into a Brumby which was fine.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”