Duel shocks?

spike
General Member

Duel shocks?

Post by spike » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:38 pm

heard on the usmb about duel shocks only being done in aus
has anyone on here done them?
only person i could really think of was brumbyrunner but i cant remember him doing it

GOD

Post by GOD » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:29 pm

I've heard of people in the Subaru 4WD club here doing it on MYs. They had trouble with brackets breaking, and AFAIK found little benefit.

Why?

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:42 am

just somthing about it got me thinking about offroad racing and alll
I suppose with the MYs and torsion springs it would be a lot easyier than on a more modern L series

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:59 am

Dual shocks is pretty easy and gives a noticeable benefit, especially protecting stock front rubber strut tops. With the progress made in shock design in the last 10 years though, it's not really needed. I haven't seen anybody muck around with it for years but if you're still running factory shocks and trying to push harder, fitting a second shock is a simple and dirt cheap way of firming the dampning, especially reboud which is almost non-existant on the factoy shocks. It also helps with overheating and shock fade.
Settlement Creek Racing

78sti

Post by 78sti » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:25 pm

For me it was to stop the front struts bending on my 84 my wagon and made a huge difference.

I would think this could be done on a l series the same way.

Just an i to i style shock mounted to the bottom of the strut using a L shaped bracket and s 2 or 3 pipe clamps. And at the top you just drill a hole in the flat area behind the strut tower (a bit of reinforcing is not a bad idea) and mount the shock to this.

I think I may have some photos at home if you are wanting to take it further?

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Some photos would be great.
I've always thought this would suit the rear of an L series quite well. Never been too impressed with the standard little shock/spring combination.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:14 pm

@ brumby runner
even with modern shocks for hard ofraod racing id be running two anyway, basically as you said to stop fade and overheating, if i ran 6 or 8 for two races before needing to look at them, other than the normal checks for bends and dents rather than paying for them to be rebuilt every race due the burning the seals

@andrew T
i suppose it would be nice on the L series, depends what i do with it though, better ride and all that from 2 sets of HD shocks in stead of going to full offroad thousand dollar each ones

riksta

Post by riksta » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 pm

I had duel shocks on my old MY wagon and thay made a huge difference to the way the car prformed off road.

Thay are very easy to fit and you can make it yourself.

The Bracket is just a big L shape bracket and you must weld a guss in the bottem of the L to stop it bending and 2 U shap clamps on each bracket that clamp around the bottem of the strut just above the hub.

Top mount is a hole in the flat area behind the strut tower and use a BIG plate washer
bottem side of hole.

The shocky I used was an old Falcon i to i style.
I had this setup for over 10 years and on 2 cars and never had a problem with this setup, later sold them to another club member when I took the car of the road.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”