L Series rear shocks

El_Freddo
Master Member

L Series rear shocks

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:57 pm

G'day

After some information as to the rear shock/spring setup on the ol' L series - has anyone worked out an effective way to run with adjustable air shocks with the standard strut design?

I'm wondering if I can create a hollow tube with spring seat that's slightly raised that can have an air adjustable shock absorber (correct term "damper") inserted.

The idea behind this - without any research - is that when I've got a load in the back of the L I can pump up the air shocks to increase the rear ride height. With the standard replacement kings the rear end sucks when its got a hint of a load in it. I'm wanting to make it more suitable to many situations using air shocks. I'm thinking a torana shock should work in terms of compression and extension limits.

Need to look at shock options that are actually available - but also need to know that I can make a sleeve tube with the spring seat that makes it all work.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 pm

so basically its a fully adjustable coil over??

without thinking about the air shock, just a tube with the spring seats that can be wound up or down. create preload that will lift the rear up.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:12 am

spike wrote:so basically its a fully adjustable coil over??

without thinking about the air shock, just a tube with the spring seats that can be wound up or down. create preload that will lift the rear up.
Not quite but sort of:

It would be a tube with the spring seat permenantly mounted in one place. This tube would need to be the correct size to fit over the air shock unit. The air shock would be the adjustable part of the setup via manual changes to the air pressure inside the shock.

I'm thinking of making the tube a tad longer than the stock unit so that it would allow for mounting point at the base of the tube for the swing arm and a second mounting point just above the swing arm mount for the air shock to mount to. I want to use a rear swing arm suspension rubber as the lower strut mount to reduce noise and vibration to the cabin much like the rubbers on a shock does.

Think I need to get a drawing sorted to show what I'm meaning...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Ok here's a drawing of the setup:

Would this work?

Length wouldn't really be an issue as I'll be able to remove the 3 inch lift insert and make the tube longer to suit...

Cheers

Bennie

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:58 am

it sort of makes sense bu what your doing is like a cross beetween two different common ideas

in motosport at least the coil over is used to lift and change spring setting with preload by winding the seats up or down
but also in offroad air shocks are used on their own, no springing medium, as the shock goes down the air pressure increases and yeah lifts and what not, it can by lifted by changine ai rpressure

Pav

Post by Pav » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Why not just fab up a bracket and a second shock (air) alongside the strut?

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:08 pm

easier idea is to get 2wd shocks in the rear. raised height due to higher spring base and mean stance ;) also when u load the car up just sits at normal level.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:11 pm

that just seems wrong subafury, it would lift it but wouldnt increase loading capacity

maybe having duel shocks would be better? and with the air shock

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 am

Bennie.. have you considered the Vortex Pneumatic Suspension System? They would fit as direct bolt in (to L.Series) replacement and if you ever change over to the Crossbred setup then you'll just need Liberty Pneumatic fronts. You could however just use the rear Vortex setup and make your own control system. I remember Bill Morley made his own about 15 years ago on his L (which is still around today) and it worked great. Bill's son works with me and I can find out more if required.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:58 pm

spike wrote:that just seems wrong subafury, it would lift it but wouldnt increase loading capacity

maybe having duel shocks would be better? and with the air shock
matt is sort of right, its higher to begin with, so loading it up would lower it to a higher level than if standard shocks were used.

Bennie, seriously i would go with the 2wd shock. I had it in my wagon and would do it again if i ever get back on horse.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:13 pm

the 2wd is higher but is it stiffer??
I imagine even if it is higher it would go down to the same height

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:28 pm

I agree with Alex and Matt. 2WD shocks and fresh king springs might do the job you need bennie, without building anything custom/elaborate. Having seen your current set up in action from been in a car behind you, I can tell that what you have in there now is doing sweet FA. Old worn crap to shiny new is a big leap, plus you'll be getting that bit extra from the 2WD shock.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Yeah I've tossed up about the 2wd rear shock setup - it won't be any stiffer than what I've got now, just taller - I would still be able to bottom out the shock with the gear I've been carrying.

Venom, with the fresh kings, I've got a set that are loads better than the presumed factory springs that I had but they're only standard replacement items and the king spring catalogue doesn't list the heavy duty, only the standard replacement units :(

I've thought about mounting a second shock but can't work out a reliable bottom mount - I don't want to be one of those people you hear of where your second shock comes home in the boot of the car rather than where its meant to be located... Plus I'm after a setup that can be used with a variety of setups in the back of the subi that is easy to adjust without having to remove anything to make the adjustment. I think the 2wd rear shocks would make the rear end sit too high when I don't have anything in the back. I also don't think the boys in blue would like the look of a second shock, my subi's already bad enough as it is :(

After looking at the prices of air shocks I don't think I'll be able to do this for a while - now saving for a house :( :D

The other advantage of making my own setup is that I could possibly use another coil spring from a heavier vehicle - the only issue would be working out clearance of the spring seat to the wheel. I'm about to head out to have a look at a few things on the back end of Ruby Scoo to further work the idea until I can actually do something about it.

One other issue is finding a suitable air shock unit to do the job - might need to spend some time in the parts shop as my online searches for an old holden air shock have been useless. I really need to learn how to do effective searches online :(

Paul, love that idea! And I was at centre rd wreckers where I could have possibly scored the units you're talking about... Its certainly got me thinking as this could be the answer to what I seek. . .

I know there's a set of 2wd rear shocks on baz who's rusting away at home (while dad makes plans to use him as a wood saw bench to replace the old kimberly that's now worth some money!) so I might throw them on for now and see how they go. Now to get home to get the parts :(

Cheers

Bennie

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:59 pm

google honda accord or civic or something. Ive heard that the front springs fit into a l-series rear and are stiffer, but pretty long.

King springs might not mention a HD replacement, but the standard kings are ALOT stiffer than the OEM gear.

You just have to lay them next to each other to understand, there are probably about 30% more coils and the gauge or the wire the kings are made out of is alot heavier.

I'll dig hard in my photos and have a look.

Just to let you know bennie, I ran 2wd rear shocks and 'standard' kings(bought them all new). I had a HEAVY rear wheel carrier with a mud tyre on it, 30kgs of subwoofer and i use to put my tool box in the boot of my wagon permenantly (heavy as fvck)

I use to load up to go away for afew days, a full engel, swag, food etc etc etc and the ride height changed minimally, maybe lost 1/2inch. Never had the shocks bottom out.

Just some food for thought mate. I payed $110 for a PAIR of 2wd rear shocks and $140 for a pair of rear kings (new). Seems cheapish?

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm

found this

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... hp?t=92929

maybe search deeper into ultimate subaru

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Alex wrote:found this

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... hp?t=92929

maybe search deeper into ultimate subaru
Do you have to be a member there to search their forum??

Cheers

Bennie

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 pm

MX5 are aperently the same size springs and then you can get different rates and heights from america (lots of MX5/miata racing there) or i remember somone on here bragging about having the KINGS copyright for some size, late model hilux shocks were the best

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 am

El_Freddo wrote:Do you have to be a member there to search their forum??

Cheers

Bennie
probabaly, i was a memeber but cant remember my logon anymore.

That forum is kickarse though!

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:12 pm

i think you need to be a member to search but not to look if that makes sense

im a memeber over there, thats how i know about the franken motor and stuff

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm

I remember seeing once on that forum, some guys had made some custom brackets up allowing them to run dual shocks - ie, keep the stock rear shocks but run secondary ones next to them. Thought that was a pretty cool idea.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”