L Series rear shocks

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:44 pm

guyph_01 wrote:So what year and exact model front honda springs you used?

Yeah looks all level and high:) How comfortable is the ride?
The exact year I can't remember - early 90's. Civic, accord, prelude all fit as they're the same dimensions but I'd reckon different spring rates for the engine/gearbox and overall vehicle weight. My brother's 1989 prelude has the same springs in the front of it. The 4 wheel steer honda's rear springs might be an alternative but I didn't look into this while at the yard, it was an after thought. So long as they look like this strut unit on the right:

From something like this:

Or:

^ That sort or era of honda is where you'll find these springs.

I'm looking at reversing the top hat on the L rear strut to lower the rear a little bit - just hoping it will not be too much lowering. Just need some time and good weather to spend the time compressing the springs to stuff around with this idea...
Alex wrote:looks real good Bennie...congrats on the successful conversion!

looks abit funny with small tyres tho!
Yeah thanks mate! Pretty stoked so far. The small tyres do look silly but I'm used to the look now... This will change though, eventually!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Dann

suggestion

Post by Dann » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:07 pm

How much more lift is the springs giving, cause if you make a smaller body lift bracket of the top of the strut it might lower it down abit, as in if i remember correctly you have a 3 inch lift if you knock it back to a 1 or 2 inch lift, depending on the lift that the springs give it might all work out level? just a suggestion, ( I heard this idea though guy).

And have you found or looked in to springs that could replace the front??
cause i'm looking at doing this but i want to do it all at once.
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Dann wrote:How much more lift is the springs giving, cause if you make a smaller body lift bracket of the top of the strut it might lower it down abit, as in if i remember correctly you have a 3 inch lift if you knock it back to a 1 or 2 inch lift, depending on the lift that the springs give it might all work out level? just a suggestion, ( I heard this idea though guy).
Good lift! Dunno exactly as I haven't put a tape measure on it. But with this change below its just a little taller than when it was sitting at its highest point unloaded with the flogged kings:

I tried this "trick" of flipping the top mount for the rear strut to effectively lower the rear end while keeping the stiff civic springs as they are standard.

Pics:

Before modification:

After modification - very simple to do. I didn't want to grind the groove but I also wanted to try this out so here it is:

The "raised" look then the flipped top hat look:

^ Its a subtle change as the subi is closer in one of the pics so it makes it look like they're the same photo. But if you compare the two pics at the top of the wheel you'll see the difference.

The result: Some noise on the left hand side because I didn't cut out enough of the lift block. And I'll be swapping them back to the way they were. With two people and a dog in the back of the subi it wasn't real good in the height department, but the rear was a lot better in the handling department which is great.

Hope this helps out some people in the decision to do this mod - very cheap and effective! I've been tossing up about cutting a half coil from the top of these springs to drop the rear ever so slightly - but I will only be seriously considering this AFTER running with a load similar to what I would have with me offroad.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Ah yeah - and I'm not going to change the lift block to a 2 inch... I now just want to wait to see what it looks like with the 27s on and some weight in the back - not necessarily in that order!

Cheers

Bennie

skrewd

Post by skrewd » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:36 pm

very interesting read, so if the honda spring was cut the same hight or slightly taller than the subie it should be roughly the same hight but stiffer.??

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:04 pm

skrewd wrote:very interesting read, so if the honda spring was cut the same hight or slightly taller than the subie it should be roughly the same hight but stiffer.??
I guess so but really don't know. I'm pretty happy with it so didn't muck around with heights by cutting springs etc.

Have a go at it if you want and post up your findings ;)

Cheers

Bennie

skrewd

Post by skrewd » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 am

El_Freddo wrote:I guess so but really don't know. I'm pretty happy with it so didn't muck around with heights by cutting springs etc.

Have a go at it if you want and post up your findings ;)

Cheers

Bennie
im thinking i'll have a go at cutting them down. im going to suss out a few wreckers this week and see how i go, if it dosnt work at least i'll know ;)

skrewd

Post by skrewd » Fri May 06, 2011 11:33 am

G'day Bennie, how are the honda springs holding up in the back of Ruby Scoo, just wondering if they have settled down a bit or are they still as they where when u put them in.?? Im going down monday to pick some up for mine and not sure if i should chop them a bit or not. Also is there any springs that can be used on the front that you know of.??

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:18 pm

skrewd wrote:G'day Bennie, how are the honda springs holding up in the back of Ruby Scoo, just wondering if they have settled down a bit or are they still as they where when u put them in.?? Im going down monday to pick some up for mine and not sure if i should chop them a bit or not. Also is there any springs that can be used on the front that you know of.??
I would say that any settling of the springs were done with the original vehicle.

They are holding up very well, have carried loads a lot better than the old springs did. When fully loaded with trailer and stuff on the roof the rear sat where the old springs would when un-laden.

If you're going to play with chopping a loop or two out, I would recommend getting a second set if you can afford it incase it doesn't work...

Cheers

Bennie

Mattallica

Post by Mattallica » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Hey guys,

Im currently trying to do a similar thing but have a few questions

I have acquired a pair honda accord springs and i was going to just put them on my standard shocks like bennie did but then i decided to follow this http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=110546 and i bought some kyb toyota surf shocks but i am having a few issues which havent really been covered in that link.

For starters the accord spring doesnt really fit very well on the surf shock (the surf shock is alot thicker than the subie shock). I might be able to get it on if i really force it but its defiantly gonna scratch the hell out of it.

Secondly, is it an issue that the bottom of the accord spring is flat and the shock has a recess for a normal (not ground flat) spring base. I am worried that when its under compression its gonna compress uneven/crooked??

I understand that i need to modify the subie mount at the bottom to fit a 12mm bolt but im unsure what i should do with the top. Should i use the subie strut top and drill it out to 12mm or should i find a surf strut top? Also, does anyone know where i can find some new rubber bushes similar to the subie ones but with 12mm holes?

Cheers, Matt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:13 am

Mattallica wrote:...
i decided to follow this http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=110546 and i bought some kyb toyota surf shocks but i am having a few issues which havent really been covered in that link.

For starters the accord spring doesnt really fit very well on the surf shock (the surf shock is alot thicker than the subie shock). I might be able to get it on if i really force it but its defiantly gonna scratch the hell out of it.

Secondly, is it an issue that the bottom of the accord spring is flat and the shock has a recess for a normal (not ground flat) spring base. I am worried that when its under compression its gonna compress uneven/crooked??...
Dear Matt:

I wrote that writeup and I Never had an issue of Scratching, nor with the base mounting; the Honda Accord Coil Spring I used did pass far enough from the Toyota 4Runner Shock Absorber, as you can see in the following Photo:

I Wonder if you didn't obtain the exact 4Runner Shock Absorber I used, the Part Number of the ones I used is: KYB 341232 and I found this cross-reference list, about it:

If you obtained the Same part Number, Maybe the problem (I guess) is that you used the Coil Springs from a Honda Civic, while I used the ones from the Honda Accord Automatic? ... Could the Civic ones be Narrower than the Accord ones? :confused:

About the Base: I left the things like they are, the Flat base from the Honda Accord Spring, Sat great on the 'yota Shock absorber non-flat base without problems.

I've been Running my Subaru "BumbleBeast" with that setup since more than four years ago, without any problems.

Beside the Writeup thread, which has Part Numbers:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=110546

There is a Discussion Thread on USMB about that:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=135711

Any question, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll try to do my Best to Help you.

Kind Regards.

Yarran

PART Number?

Post by Yarran » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 am

Has anyone got the part number for these Civic Accord Prelude front springs?

been looking and calling everywhere ha

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”