new struts vs lifter kit

LIFTED

new struts vs lifter kit

Post by LIFTED » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:22 pm

I've read pages and pages in this forum on tyre and rim sizes and I've noticed to get bigger rims and tyres to fit a 1st Gen Liberty Some people suggest changing the struts to Outback ones and some suggest putting in a 2" lifter kit. I also understand that even if they are to big they will rub on the body when turning.
What I want to know is pros and cons of doing one or the other?
or should I do both?
If you do both does that give you a total lift of 4" eg 2" for the lift kit and 2" for the outback struts?

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:46 pm

If you put Outback struts on you will get 27.69" tyres on without you will struggle to get 26.92" it will still rub on the bottom of the strut spring cup.
If you go to Forester 15" rims you should get a bit better with the offset.
A 2" lift will give more clearance under the car but you still wont be able to put 26.92" tyres on without rubbing
Putting both struts and springs it will give you 4" all up i have this setup but with hd springs as well i have 215/75/15 (27.69")tyres i do get a bit of rubbing on full lock and with a lot of weight in the car.

Here is a tyre calculator http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp to work out tyre diameters

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:51 pm

here is a diagram showing what it looks like with a 4 inch strut and 2 inch body lift

and a 2 inch all round lift

a 4 inch strut lift with no body lift will chop your cv joints out really quickly because of the increased angle

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:46 pm

I guess I need a bit more clarification on the correct terminology/wording

Is a strut lift just putting those little 2'' block triangular type spacers just above the struts? or would this be called a body lift?

Or is a strut lift just putting on longer struts like the outback ones?

Or is putting longer outback struts on called a suspension lift? or is putting on heavy duty springs a suspention lift?

Do the Outback struts alone give 4" of lift?

As you can see I'm a bit confused.

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm

A strut lift is just putting Outback struts in
A body lift is putting blocks at every part of the car that connects to the suspension and drive train (lift kit) including on top of the struts

Here is a link to an site that has a pic of a lift kit http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=114187

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:37 pm

a strut lift can be 2 inch or bigger lift blocks on the struts only or it can be a mixture

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:34 am

Ok Thanks for the diagrams and explanations Yarney and Toonga
so a strurt lift can be putting on longer outback struts and can also include putting in the 2" blocks as well on top of the struts.

and a body lift is putting the blocks on top of the struts plus all those other little blocks and bits between the cars body and the drive train, which gives a more even lift around the body.
From the looks of the diagram a 2" strut lift with blocks gives the same amount of lift as putting on just the outback struts.

So I could put on outback struts and HD springs like Yarney(a 4" lift) and fit 27.69" tyres on or I could just do a strut lift with 2" blocks and fit on 26.92" tyres that will still rub.

So going back to my origional post what are the pros and cons of doing
option1 a 2" strut only lift vs option2 outback struts and HDsprings vs option3 a 2" full body lift kit. ??
I imagine option1 would be cheaper and easier to do.
option2 would allow fitting bigger tyres and best ground clearance and ?may damage cv joints
and option 3 would most probably be most expensive and be better for the CV joints.

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:19 pm

or a combination? like 1" strut top lift, and HD outback struts, best blend of clearance with the best performance and not the worst option for your CV's, but a midrange price, the labour cost of a full body lift is large, strut top installation is cheap, HD struts will cost a bit, ~1000 bux, but you could almost do a 1" lift at the same time, since the struts would be out, but HD springs offer a large improvment in performance
depends how much you want to invest?
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:56 pm

I think I'm going to go just the 96-98 outback struts, not sure if I should get standard length HD springs or longer HD springs.
I have noticed when people do this the rear wheels look like they move forward a bit?

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Ok I might be able to get some struts and springs out of an outback that has done 240000km's I'm still negotiating a price just below $300
Just wondered am I better off getting new KYB stuts and HD King springs as these have had a few km wear?
Or should I get these second hand struts and then buy new HD springs?
I'm just not sure if the wear and tear would affect there performance much.
Any opinions and suggestions welcome.

stewbaru

Post by stewbaru » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:12 pm

300 seem's a decent price. Just did this to a mate's liberty and had problems finding the spring hats, so if you can get the complete set thats a bonus. If you buy new struts, depending on whether you have the air suspension or not you might have to find the strut tops and hats from somewhere. As for the wheels moving forward, ask the guy your getting the struts from for the rear trailing arms as well, as i understand this should fix it.

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:41 pm

i just did mine as nic said... few things outback rears wont bolt straight in bit of filing needed in the strut tower not a big issue however... to be honest i'd get lifted purely for the extra height and seems like a really nice ride so far and it's not a massive increase in height so any extra is good... and 200,000km on them probably worth getting new mate no doubt new ones will be better just depending on what your budget allows.. but if you look at it this way you pay 300 for the secondhand + kings = 580.. brand new 880ish... few hundred worth the hassle ?? your decision. and yeh look at roscows liberty build there is a few comments about the rear trailing arm mounts and how they help the forward movement of the rear wheel..
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah good point about $580 vs $880, I'll check out Roscos build thread,
Any pics Woody of your car lifted?

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Me again.
Are these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... 0437171751
the strut tops that I will need if I put KYB 97 outback struts in a 92 liberty with HD king springs?
Do I need them for just the rear or will I need them for the front as well?

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:21 pm

you'll need 4 strut tops.. if your current suspension has the non tapered springs (cone shaped) and just the straight springs you'll be able to use the 4 strut tops from your liberty ones.. otherwise you could use those strut tops and drill new holes or file the current ones out a little... but that price seems excess call around some wreckers i picked some second hand ones up for 80...

Image thats my car there with the struts and springs in... and not a very good picture
thats it next to a mates l-series which has a 3" lift in it gives you a better indication of height and all of the driveline etc actually has more clearance then his car.
to do list:

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Cool pics Woody thanks

The second hand ones that were for sale have gone :-(

Well I just did some ringing around for prices on new outback struts.
Coventry's don't have any and would have to get them shipped from over east and he said the frieght on top would make them very expensive he could not give me a price.
Repco only had fronts at $211 each no rears so no price.
Malz had no idea and will call me back still waiting.
Supercheap RF $215 LF $275 Rears $335 each...... what tha!
Subaru parts wangara wanted the vin number no vin = no price

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Hmm After reading one of Venoms posts http://ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18191 looks like I might have to try USA

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:19 pm

i think you'll find shipping on struts alot more expensive then getting them here... i paid 165 a strut at supercheap including postage.. ask around your friends see if they know of anyone who works there staff discount is quite good.
to do list:

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”