Where to put car stands

LIFTED

Where to put car stands

Post by LIFTED » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Tomorrow I'm thinking of swapping the struts out of the unlicenced 97 outback I have into my 92 Liberty and then vice versa.
I've bought 2 car stands and I'm going to do 1 corner at a time.
After jacking up the car where is the exact best place to put the car stand for when I do the rear and for when I do the front? :confused:

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Are you serious ? I think if you have to ask that question then you have to ask yourself "Should I really be doing this ?"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:50 pm

niterida wrote:Are you serious ? I think if you have to ask that question then you have to ask yourself "Should I really be doing this ?"
We all started somewhere :)

the jacking points would be the best option. you could even have a look at the way guy jacked his up, so he could work on it.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:09 pm

Depending on the type of stands you can bend the lip that runs under the sills, not a big deal but it looks shit. In the front I prefer to use stands further under the car at the chassis rail looking part of the car. You can't do the same for the rear though, but generally a jack under the diff is fine plus the two stands. To be safer i sit the wheels under the doors so if it happens to drop there's atleast 6" of space under it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Thx Toonga :p LOL, yeah a few examples of car stands i had over the years:D

The trusted old umbrella stand and double stacked batteries:D

This one is special LMAO

The latest ones:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Nothing wrong with using tyres and rims - very stable if done right.

Just make sure the car is on level ground and that the stands get a good grip on whatever you put them under - in other words make sure the shape of the mounting point matches the shape of the stand as close as possible - this will minimize the chance of slipping.

Once the car is resting on the stands give the car a good shake to make sure it won't move or fall.

All pretty much common sense really.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:58 am

niterida wrote:Are you serious ? I think if you have to ask that question then you have to ask yourself "Should I really be doing this ?"
Yes I am serious, otherwise I would not have asked. I have come to these forums to increase my knowledge not to be belittled.
I did not ask for your opinion of what I should be asking myself, you failed to answer my question. :(
I can't see how lack of knowledge in one area(safe car stand placement) will hinder me in another(undoing 5 nuts and freeing up the brake line).

If I place the jack in the designated jack point, I then cannot place the car stand in this already occupied strengthened area.
I do not wish to damage the underside of my car by lowering it onto a weak spot. I only know of the 4 recommended areas for placing the jack. Hence my original question. ;)

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:00 am

niterida wrote:Nothing wrong with using tyres and rims - very stable if done right.

Just make sure the car is on level ground and that the stands get a good grip on whatever you put them under - in other words make sure the shape of the mounting point matches the shape of the stand as close as possible - this will minimize the chance of slipping.

Once the car is resting on the stands give the car a good shake to make sure it won't move or fall.

All pretty much common sense really.
Thankyou

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:52 am

IF you have a trolley jack like the one in my first pic, I always jack the rear front the diff and I would then put the car stands (If i had some) on the designated rear area.
For the front i place the jack on the little middle plate that is bolted to the engine cross member. Again you can then place the car stands on the front designated areas.

Or, another thing is you could do is, as commonly performed from back home, Jack the car up, remove the wheels and place the disk on 4 bricks:) Only thing our bricks are 5 times bigger that those little crappy red Aussie bricks....

lol
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:20 am

Or you can cut some custom units:

:mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 am

El_Freddo wrote:Or you can cut some custom units:

:mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
Wouldn't catch me under that !!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:17 am

wood is good ;)
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:25 am

niterida wrote:Wouldn't catch me under that !!
Shouldn't that be "wooden catch me under that!!" :)

Sorry

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”