Addco Swaybars fro the US

Rodeo4jake

Addco Swaybars from the US

Post by Rodeo4jake » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 am

G'day guys, here's something else for my future wish list. Checked out whiteline Swaybars & they no longer make the rear bar for mys, at least that's what the bloke I spoke to said. So searching on USMB saw that some guys on there mention Addco ones. After research found they make a 1 inch front, part #717, & 3/4 inch rear, part#353. Prices are $179, & $122 plus freight, which seems like it wouldn't be that much. Found more than 1 place that would ship them here.
1 site had a PDF of the install instructions & it confirmed for me that they should fit Aussie cars.

Cheers Jake

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:06 pm

The MY's could benefit from a bigger sway bar I reckon, rear one as well maybe or at least mine would (body roll nearly throws me out of my seat sometimes) But do they still fit and work if you lift the vehicle?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:26 am

Silverbullet wrote:The MY's could benefit from a bigger sway bar I reckon, rear one as well maybe or at least mine would (body roll nearly throws me out of my seat sometimes) But do they still fit and work if you lift the vehicle?
I haven't fitted a lift kit before, but if the standard ones work when lifted the bigger ones should too.
As for the rear, it should still work cos it only bolts to suspension components. So it would just move down from the body of the car with the rest of the rear end.
I have fitted rear Swaybars to 2 leaf sprung cars before & the improvement to turn in response in cornering was very good.

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Looks like I might have a the rear swaybar coming for a Christmas present off a few relatives. Freight was only $12! I'll let everyone know how I go fitting it when it turns up, should be good.

Cheers

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Looks like I might have a the rear swaybar coming for a Christmas present off a few relatives. Freight was only $12! I'll let everyone know how I go fitting it when it turns up, should be good.:wink:

Cheers

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:45 pm

I'll sure be interested to see how it goes, keep us posted.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:02 pm

G'day
Well it's taken a while, but the Swaybar is at my house. Will take some pics & be fitting it on the weekend. Probably Saturday I think. Can't wait to get home now.

Cheers Jake

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Here it is! All the way from Delaware Ohio.

Well it's all fitted to the car now. Went on fairly easily. Had to drill out a couple holes a bit bigger & trim some brackets. Will post some pics of it on there tomorrow. Overall I'm pleased with the product though. Just gotta take it for a fang down the nearest twisty road to feel the difference now.

Cheers Jake

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm keen to know how this goes!

Sounds like an interesting piece of kit to have for a road hugging brumby ;) Looking forward to the pics (as always!).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:41 am

Here's some more photos

The link ends bolt up to a bracket that mounts to the bottom shocker bolt.
The hole for the shocker bolt was too small, so I drilled it our to the required size. Also, when bolted up, these brackets touched the driveshaft boot. So I trimmed the edge off them on the grinder.
Here's a shot of the link end

One shot of the Brumby in front of the shed

I've taken it for a quick spin now. You can tell the difference, turn in response is much better. Even just on lower speed turns like roundabouts. If you like your cars to handle nice I think it's a worthwhile addition.

Cheers

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:44 am

Wow I didnt realise it would be that different to the L series rear bar.
At one stage I was gonna fit an RX rear bar to an MY sedan, but never got around to it, it looks like it wouldnt have fit anyway.

Looks good and I have no doubt it makes a difference to the handling, but that hub attachment looks very close to the CV boot.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:23 pm

I agree with you saying its very close to the cv boot there. It doesn't touch it & everything travels together so theoretically it should never touch.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Are you able to refresh these images soo we can seen them??

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:24 am

Images are working for me on my phone and my computer.

I would suggest the problem is on your computer :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:16 am

Now working after a restart Jules. Thanks
might look into upgrading the front and fitting a rear. Even with new shocks and bushes all round it doesn't handle anything like an MX-5.
haven't got any pics for clicking the torsion bar up or down a few teeth to lower or raise the rear?

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:48 am

I just went on the JEGS site, shipping to AU is now $244.20 (economy option) ! Probably with UPS instead of USPS...crazy price.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:14 am

Excellent write up.
Slightly off topic, but still on sway bars, wasn't there something written on the forum some time ago regarding front sway bars for MY's being different diameters depending on year/Brumby or wagon/model.
I cant recall now but I thought one bar was considerably bigger is diameter than others so if this can be defined it may be worth sourcing these standard, larger bars if new ones cant be found.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:02 am

I have sent JEGS an email to ask about the higher freight charge, and the possibility of a group buy.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Looking at those pics Jake, I reckon the sway bar was meant to be mounted above the K frame, not below it like you have - this explains why the sway bar has that forward point/bend in it - to go around the height adjustment bolt on the K frame.

I wouldn't mind one of these on Redback - but it's a cost thing, it's meant to be a budget build/cruiser :( Although this would be one step in the right direction for the setup of a WRX swap later :twisted: Again, I'll probably never get there with this one though...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 am

Update from JEGS is they now only offer FedEx priority, as opposed to FedEx economy freight. And no volume discount either. So Rockauto / Summit / eBay is probably the way to go for those looking to purchase. If there are other members looking to buy in the short-medium term PM me and we can amortise the freight...

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”