Quick question about L series struts

Silverbullet

Quick question about L series struts

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Making a lift kit at the moment for my wagon, going to use L series front struts to take advantage of the top mount bearing for softer steering, among other things.

Question is does it matter which way around the tripod top mount gets bolted? since it's on a bearing it never stays in one place like the MY strut which has to be mounted a certain way around depending on 4WD, 2WD, wagon etc. So would it matter if one of the 3 studs was at 12 O'clock, 3 O'clock etc or do they have to be in a certain alignment? This for when I weld the bottom plate to the lift block (pipe)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Pretty sure it doesn't matter. Spin it around, it should just be the same no matter what position it's in. Of course the lift block (pipe) itself has to be at a certain angle.

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm

You would think not. But, it may be best to replicate the orientation they were fitted up in the L Series - just in case.

For arguments sake, I would be making the triangle with tip front most, with the two at the rear line across the car, taking into non existaent account that vehicle is travelling forward. Is the front coping anything more than the rear? Id want the two at the rear - if it all fits that way.
member since 10january2014 #6191

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:15 pm

oh yeah that makes sense. I was thinking more just the 3 points in relation to each other - doesn't matter. But the 3 points as a whole, yeah, considering you are adapting that in to MY I'd position them as close to how it is in an L series as possible.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:22 pm

You're right when you spin it around the "bolt circle" is right on centre anyway, no offset in the mount itself. Will have to look an an L series to see which way the triangle bolt pattern points. I measured a X-bread kit and the offset between the top and bottom plates seems to be about 10mm, bottom plate being 10mm closer to the engine bay.

For anyone who wants to make a kit like this, the L series 3 bolt pattern is 140mm P.C.D and they are M8 studs, I'm drilling 9mm holes for clearance.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”