New rear King n KYBs for L wagon

FujiFan

New rear King n KYBs for L wagon

Post by FujiFan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:39 am

After about 3 months of ordering parts, collecting spares, powder coating and what not - I have finally got around to replacing the ageing rear springs/dampers.

The opportunity finally came to buy a pair of KYB 341065 rear dampers - and at a great "make an offer" buy price from a Fleabay seller! These are the hard to find units with 136mm from bottom centre mounting hole to bottom lower spring seat. As opposed to the readily available 341216 (129mm). This was coupled with a sale on a front + rear std height King heavy duty spring set from another vendor :D

But at some point either the original owners or the second of my wagon had the rear dampers replaced with an unidentifiable brand which had 150mm spring seat height. Everyone used to ask me if I had put a lift kit on the wagon - well "no I havn't" I would tell these inquisitive types!
So with a full tank of petrol and the spare wheel in the back at 32psi tyre pressure, I had 300mm of rear groung clearance - and have had for 4 1/2 years until last Sunday!
And this above pic is with an additional 280Kg - of VRLA batteries in the back:twisted:
Now more pics....
On the last pic, I ordered new upper rubber seats as these will almost always be perished or at least damaged on a 22 year old car. Still available ex-Japan for about $28ea (thanks FROG, part# 21065GA171 )
to be continued....

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:07 am

The old on top and the new on bottom rubber mounts. The old rubbers were not cracked just deformed and could be reused. But since KYB supply new units with the their dampers it would be best to use them. That said it is a lot more difficult to fit the new rubbers because the they are not compressed like the old ones - so there is only about a thread or so to fit the nut until you can get a few turns to tighten the ASSY together.

And how it sits now.

Out of interest here is a pic of the new King, the old std spring ( middle ) and a std spring from an 87 Touring wagon.
The original springs from my 92 wagon appears to have a top orange and lower pink paint daub. The 87 Touring springs have a top purple and lower white paint daub. And well the Kings - just look sexy in yellow:)

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Great pics and info! :)

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks AndrewT, but I will give more details about the results. Already the car feels much better handling wise.

J.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”