Brumby 5 Stud conversion - Suspension options

taza
General Member

Brumby 5 Stud conversion - Suspension options

Post by taza » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Well I'm looling to achieve better handling out of the little ute. Its currently RWD amd has the adjustable suspension wound all the way down. Ive replaced most of the bushes, mounts and bearing under the car. Feels tight except for the steering and brakes!

Cr***B*** don't make their kits anymore however I got my hands on a pair of L-Series modified control arms that'll accept an EJ ball joint. So i can slap in the ej hub, bearing, 4 pot brakes and a shock.
I'm not sure what shock to run? What springs? I was thinking GC8 KYB's with lowered king springs? ?
I want something low but not so it hita curbs and the likes!

The rear I was gonna get the stock hubs redrilled... ive seen some ridiculous prices on custom hubs and the works... I can get some bolt on spacers that I'd probably be comfortablr with but redrilling seems like my only decent option. I have a new pair of monroe shocks in the rear which work well and are firm. I find the torsion bar provides good adjustment for height and dampening of the shocks.

Ive got these light 16inch sti wheels to go on!

I'll go with a set of toyo teo plus tyres in 205/50r16 (24"). These should give me good grip and shouldn't rub.
while the suspension is apart I'm going to swap the steering rack to a Forester 3.2 turn (lock to lock) verse the brumby 5.5 turn! It won't be power steering but should work well until the ej207, awd and dccd go in..
While she does contain rust its only in the tray (only half a tray exists) and both front guards. This is easily fixed with some new panels and a new tray.

what are peoples thoughts?

The vehicle

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Those wheels are going to look saa-weeet!
As for using LCA's from L series, have you got modded strut bars to go with it?
I used Ford XD/E/F strut bars with the ends cut off and re-drilled to bolt to the double panelled part of the LCA. With LJ Torana strut bar bushes.
L series LCA's will kick the lower ball joint position out and forward, so you will end up with lots of lovely Neg camber and a better kingpin angle but to get those wheels to fit and not rub you will have to cut the lower front of the guards.
I used standard 97 Liberty coil/strut.... BUT...I have a 2 inch lift kit which spaces the spring down far enough from the narrowest point of the shock tower.
A.F.A.I.K there's no way to fit standard stuff up the shock tower without
a) 2 inch lift block.
b) a FBH and much modding of tower (messy) or
c) going adjustable coil over shocks

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Ah ok... thanks heaps.
so I can't use L-series modded lateral arms (radius rods) that came with the cr***br** LCA?

Ok so I have to drop the engine and gearboz 2"? What about the rear diff? I knew I'd need to do this when I gI go EJ Turbo but not with the stock EA..

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Ah ok... thanks heaps.
so I can't use L-series modded lateral arms (radius rods) that came with the cr***br** LCA?
No they are too short if memory serves me correct.
Ok so I have to drop the engine and gearbox 2"?
No!! Mines a 2inch body lift! You will need to find a spring/shock combo narrow enough to fit up inside the shock tower.
I think adjustable coil over shock is the only way for your intended application.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:35 am

Sounds like those radius rods are meant to be used here in the brumby. I bought a complete Cr0ssBread kit for L series and it never came with any radius rods, just meant to use thr standard L ones.

What are your plans for rear brakes?

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 am

I bought a complete Cr0ssBread kit for L series and it never came with any radius rods, just meant to use thr standard L ones
Well no...it wouldn't have come with them as you didn't need anything other than your standard L rods and control arms, already on your car.
This is LCA's from an L into a Brumby, which technically has nothing to do with the crispbread kit at all.
This could be done just to get lots of neg camber, using standard MY bearing hubs (steering knuckle) and brakes.
Heres the difference in length from standard MY/Brumby to the modded XD Falcon. I don't have L's for reference any more
but I had them at one point and couldn't use them.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Yer I know u dont need them for an L. Was just that taza said he had some that came with the cr0ssbread L series lca's so I was pointing oyt that they wouldn't have. Not sure about the MY version of the kit.
L series lca's into brumby would need different rods for sure, not related to hotcrossbun kit tho

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Be interested to see how a Forester rack goes into a Brumby without power steering. With 205 tyres could be a handful to steer at low speeds (carparks, etc).
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”