Recon steering rack

JP147

Recon steering rack

Post by JP147 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:15 pm

I've had enough of my steering rack and I'd like it to steer as good as new. Is the best option to get one reconditioned? And are there any good places in SA for that?

Thanks

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:33 pm

Is it power or manual steer? I just got a power rack done at Re-car in St. Agnes and they did a good job. If it's manual steer I'm not sure, if the teeth on the rack are worn then the whole thing is pretty much junk, same goes for power racks as well. I was lucky with the one I got from a wreckers the teeth on the rack were pretty good, and if the pinion teeth are worn they can adjust the whole input shaft to a non-worn position.

Also, it seems the mounting bushes for these things are no longer available...anywhere...so look after what you got!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:58 pm

It's manual. I guess I will just get something from u-pull-it and see how it goes. It will probably be good compared to what I have now. The guy at the tyre place said it is pretty worn out but still should work ok, but it's the only thing that could be making the car go left all the time since everything else is new. Thanks

David D

Post by David D » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:38 am

I'll follow this thread with interest as my Brumby steering rack has started to feel and sound a bit rough. Might be a while before I get round to it though.
Are all manual MY racks interchangeable or are there variations between years, models etc?

Cheers

David D

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”