Installing a 2" lift kit

JP147

Installing a 2" lift kit

Post by JP147 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:15 pm

I have 1 and 1/2 days free this weekend so I plan to install a 2" lift kit in my MY Leone wagon and it needs to be ready to drive to work on Monday. I also need to change the steering rack.

From what I heard it is fairly simple, but I don't have time to get stuck with anything. I have all the blocks, bolts, extended front brake lines and extended steering shaft.

Are there any tricks to make this job quicker and easier?
Will there be any problems with the exhaust, gear linkages, etc.?

Thanks

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:45 pm

Some sort of penetrating oil and lots of it. the bolts will be a fight to the end each and every one. wind it out a little spray some lube wind it back in repeat process.

The high low linkages will be tight and you may not be able select reverse. fiddling and adjustment got my linkages working again when I did my brumby.

You may need longer radiator hoses as well.

The engine stay could need to be modified as well

GOOD LUCK

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

tambox

Post by tambox » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Careful when you undo the bolts that hold the engine cross member on, the nuts can be weathered (tight) and are relatively soft. Make sure you lubricate the thread and keep your socket straight, a slight angle on it may burr the nut, then its cutting time.
The rest can be similar, but not as bad, just be careful.
L serious, still.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:05 pm

What Toonga said :) Getting the bolts undone safely will probably be the hardest part. If you have them, use 6 sided sockets or even might be worth going to a tool place and buying the ones you need (rattle gun sockets) they're not hugely expensive. Remember to bleed the brakes!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

JP147

Post by JP147 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info.

The radiator hoses look like they will be ok, I might just need to loosen them and then retighten them.

The engine stay is the rod going from the firewall to the bell housing, right? Or is it something else?

Do the gear linkages have adjustable lengths like the high/low linkage?

I will be as careful as possible with all the fasteners. The subframe was changed not long ago so it shouldn't be too bad.

Edit: Thanks Silverbullet for the reminder, I will add brake fluid to my list of things to get.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”