removing 3" lift kit l series sportswagon

Brumby_ProjectX

removing 3" lift kit l series sportswagon

Post by Brumby_ProjectX » Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm

I want to remove my lift kit from my 1992 sportswagon. Can you buy all new original bolts or am I going to need to do a run to the wreckers and remove all the bolts from a wreck? Even if i can get a list so I can go purchase all new bolts would be better than recycling old stuff. I had a quick look in the manual but didn't come across all the bolt lengths and diameters. Any help appreciated.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri May 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes you can buy all original new bolts, but first you must know exactly what pitch the thread is and what length all of the bolts are. If you can find any "MY" model from 1982 -1984 or a brumby from 1982 to 1992 at the wreckers, all of the bolts will fit in place of the lift bolts. or you can use them as a guide to find new replacements.

Then sell your lift kit to cover the cost :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri May 08, 2015 6:13 pm

They're all metric fine pitch on my MY wagon, e.g M10x1.25, M12x1.25

A pain to work with and easy peasy to cross-thread and destroy when everything is dirty and/or gummed up with gunk.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 08, 2015 6:24 pm

L series guys. Settle down with the MY stuff! :p

There's nothing wrong with using second hand bolts, so long as they come out fine and the thread is not damaged.

As for what you need I can't tell you. But I do know that a set of bolts will be expensive, probably up near $150 IMO.

You could remove all the bolts, leave the vehicle on jack stands with the front and rear cross members/subframe support as well.
Take these bolts to your local nut and bolt store and have them sized up with 3 inches less.

Buy bolts.

Go home and fit them to the vehicle.

You might find that you'll also need the stock steering knuckle. It's different for manual steering and powersteering so be sure to get the right one ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brumby_ProjectX

Post by Brumby_ProjectX » Fri May 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for the input, think ill have to make a trip to upullit and take a few measurements. Luckily there are a few wagons down this way. I was hoping to get a replacement kit and just do it all in one go.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri May 08, 2015 11:40 pm

El_Freddo wrote:L series guys. Settle down with the MY stuff! :p

There's nothing wrong with using second hand bolts, so long as they come out fine and the thread is not damaged.

As for what you need I can't tell you. But I do know that a set of bolts will be expensive, probably up near $150 IMO.

You could remove all the bolts, leave the vehicle on jack stands with the front and rear cross members/subframe support as well.
Take these bolts to your local nut and bolt store and have them sized up with 3 inches less.

Buy bolts.

Go home and fit them to the vehicle.

You might find that you'll also need the stock steering knuckle. It's different for manual steering and powersteering so be sure to get the right one ;)

Cheers

Bennie
L series yes, but being these cars are only 1 gen apart they would still all be metric fine threads ;) 10 and 12mm

And it's true buying bolts on your own from a specialty fasteners place is exy, considering how much the bolts are actually worth. I am lucky and my brother ordered my lift kit bolts for me through his work and he said they cost so little it wasn't even worth me paying him back, I'm talking $10 or less. The everyday walk-in customer really gets shafted at places like that :(
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 09, 2015 12:23 am

Sorry I read this as 1982 sportswagon when I wrote my reply. I was wearing my safety glasses from work ( a poor excuse) which are a different prescription to my everyday glasses.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”