Problem with steering bush

JP147

Problem with steering bush

Post by JP147 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Recently My MY wagon gets very hard to steer sometimes, and when it does turn, it locks into a different position and is hard to steer back.
I got someone to steer the car while I looked at the steering shaft and the bush between the intermediate shaft and the rack is twisting so much that the intermediate shaft bolts are hitting on the bolts that go to the rack.
There is a fair bit of force going through the bush because I don't have power steering, but it is a fairly new nolethane bush.
I can't go to a solid metal bush because the shaft comes into it at a slight angle.
Any ideas on how to stop it twisting?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:45 pm

You mean that rubber disc whatsit is twisting? If it's that hard to steer maybe there is something else wrong with the rack. Does it still do that if you have the front wheels off the ground?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

JP147

Post by JP147 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:15 pm

I found the problem. I drove my Datsun for a few days and my Subaru got jealous and seized the steering uni.
Probably had water in it for months but didn't make problems because it usually gets driven every day.

Also the steering bush was flogged out. Probably due to lots of use in mud, daily car park driving with large tyres, driving with a seized uni, and the fact that it is not actually a Subaru part, just a generic Nolethane bush that almost fits properly.

It is all fixed now with the uni free and feeling good as new and also a new bush, ready for Jakem's farm on the weekend.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”