MY/Brumby rear struts+springs

Silverbullet

MY/Brumby rear struts+springs

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:56 pm

Okay okay, I need some help here :???:

There's some bits and bobs of info in various threads that I've found here on the forums but nothing really concrete that I can go out and buy parts on. Basically I'm thinking about rear struts with coil springs in place of the original shock only setup for the wagon project. Main question is: what are the best parts to use? Is there any existing strut that will just "bolt up" or are there going to be mods required. I realize they need to be a skinny spring because there's not much room between it and the wheel tub. One definite is that the torsion bar stays in there, albeit wound right down so it is not doing anything. I'm not too worried about having too much spring as my current torsion bar seems to be way too soft, thinking it's gotten too old and sagged. Plus at times I will have alot of gear hanging over the rear wheels, when camping etc.

I've read some people have used L series 4WD/wagon rear struts, others say they are way too high. Some have used Vortex rear struts (are these not the same as L series?) and TOONGA has some nice pictures in his Brumby thread about how he used MX5 front struts with a few little mods. With the L series gear, would they be too high at standard height? i.e could you put them in a 2" lifted car and have no problems?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:05 pm

So here is how my brumby sits

this is the way I've installed the vortex shocks

and this is the clearance from the shock to the body about a centimetre at its closest point

with a normal L series shock I would invert the top bracket Ive made so the longer shock would sit in place and the car would sit a bit lower.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Pictures speak 1000 and all that :)

Thanks TOONGA, that pretty much answers everything. There's a Vort at the local wreckers last time I went hopefully the rear struts are still there, if not plenty of L's to choose from.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”