MY front strut - rebuild able version

Cliff R
General Member

MY front strut - rebuild able version

Post by Cliff R » Fri May 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Anyone have any info or experiences in the rebuild able front struts from early MY's.
A while ago, I found and fitted strut inserts into my rebuild able struts but they are too harsh a ride so I am going back to the original strut guts and keeping the Kings springs.
I realise the insert components are probably not available any more but as my strut guts where not leaking I am happy to put them back together as is with new oil.
I have a bottle of strut oil but I am not use how much oil to put back in.
I think there was something on this in the Gregories which I will consult but if anyone has any advise on their experiences with these struts it would be great to know about it.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri May 20, 2016 9:38 pm

I've got the same rebuildable struts, they were originally in my old wagon. I took them apart and put new oil in, according to my FSM:
- 205cc of oil for all models except 4WD
- 220cc for 4WD

Steps are:

1. Insert piston rod into inner cylinder gradually
2. Insert inner cylinder with piston rod into outer shell slowly
3. Pour oil into outer shell by using measuring cylinder
4. Attach packing to rod guide as rod guide assembly
5. Install rod guide assembly to inner cylinder firmly with care of not damaging it by thread of piston rod.
6. Install oil seal assembly to piston rod with special tool 925380000 on thread portion of piston rod

The "packing" is an O-ring (You need this O-ring!!!) the "rod guide" is the top inner bushing which goes inside, on top of everything else. The O-ring sort of slips into a groove in the top outside edge of this bushing. Special tool can be substituted by a big shifter or pipe wrench :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat May 21, 2016 8:59 am

Thanks for that.
Interesting to note the differences between the 2WD and the 4WD oil.
Wonder how much difference it makes between the 2 oil quantities to the ride.
It is also interesting to note that out of the 5 manuals I have the Gregory's is the only one which states anything about these struts.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”