lifting the rear of a brumby

90brumby
General Member

lifting the rear of a brumby

Post by 90brumby » Sat May 12, 2007 10:20 pm

as the title i have a 90 brumby with a 4inch lift and with the suspension wound down the rear sits heap low
i heard that you can fit air shocks to the rear but just wantin to no wat these come off or any other way to lift the rear

tristan
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Sat May 12, 2007 10:47 pm

thay are some sort of holden air shocks. im not sure on part numbers or model but subarino or tim will know.
09 Forester XT Touring Wagon

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Sat May 12, 2007 10:54 pm

yer been talkin wid subarino n ave come 2 the conclusion that somethin must be
bent as when i wind the suspension up on the back the camber it intense
so therefore doing this mod would probably not help all that much
The New Owner Of hatchie

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun May 13, 2007 9:10 am

Yup the gas-up struts work well, but I always found after a few heavy 4x4 sessions they'd start to lose their air. I've got ea82 suspension in the back of my ea81 sedan now and it feels great. Basically needs the same adaptor as the gas-up struts anyway. Also already gives a 2" lift, so you'd only need 2" blocks for them.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Sun May 13, 2007 10:51 am

Monro's MGR 5O4 that is the shocks that I used in the rear of the MY wagon , they should be the same for the Brumby, they are a air rise shock .

Mike.
ImageImage

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun May 13, 2007 2:04 pm

His problem is bad camber in the rear when i winds up the torsion bar.... i think a suspension lift will make the same problem.

Mike is correct on the part number... that is what we are all running but an adaptor will need to be fabricated for the top.

If the air shocks have no leaks they will never go down. Stinkys must have had a leak somewhere... i think of myself as going offroading rather hardcore and have never had a problem with the air going down.

I also have changed mine to be running off 2 different air lines... this helps to level out the car and prevent body roll.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun May 13, 2007 2:43 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:Stinkys must have had a leak somewhere... i think of myself as going offroading rather hardcore and have never had a problem with the air going down.

I also have changed mine to be running off 2 different air lines... this helps to level out the car and prevent body roll.
Yeah, without abusing them really bad, they probably won't leak. I have a habit of following (or at least trying to ) double locked Patrols etc. I bent the hell out of 4" blocks in my old wagon ( ended up welding them to the body as I expected the bolts to go ). So if you're not mistreating it as badly, then you'll be fine.

Also I think individual air lines is illegal. I would imagine having a shared pool of air would actually be better for articulation anyway, as when one wheel is forced up, the other would be pushed down, sort of the way a live axle works.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun May 13, 2007 8:37 pm

Stinky.... as far as legalities (no coment) i didn't really want that mentioned on here.

Joint air lines makes sence for offroading... seriously made a HUGE difference in the amount of body roll i had when cornering though.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Wed May 16, 2007 12:04 am

one day i will find a rear suspension set up out of a MY and fit that up n hopefull
get rid of this camber issue

thanks anyway guuys
The New Owner Of hatchie

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”